This perfect apple puffed pancake recipe, also known as a German Dutch Baby pancake, is what I think of when I want to make a special breakfast treat. A light batter filled with air pockets and topped with warm cooked fruit is made in a cast-iron pan and really is very simple to make.
When this apple pancakes recipe is placed on the table, it just oozes “you are special” just like the syrupy cinnamon that coats each slice of apple.
I love that of all the recipes I make, this is the one my father requests most. It is perfect for a fall brunch, birthday breakfast, or to serve for a special dessert.
Tools for puffed apple pancake
When it comes to easy recipes, making a Dutch apple pancake in a cast-iron skillet and using a blender for the batter is as simple as it gets.
- Cast Iron Skillet: I like to use this cast iron pan– it melts the butter just right and creates a beautiful crisp bottom layer. Because of the great heat conductivity, the pancake puffs really high!
- Blender: A great appliance to have in the kitchen! Use for sauces, smoothies, to cream soups like our butternut squash soup, or in this case, to make a batter. You can also use an immersion blender for this light apple pancake batter.
- Apple peeler, slicer & corer: When fall arrives, this handy tool gets quite the workout in my kitchen! I LOVE this thing and have had one for my entire baking career. There are two kinds- one that clamps to the edge of a counter and another that has a suction cup base. I prefer the suction cup base because I can move and place it wherever I want. This is the apple peeler, slicer, & corer that I have.
- Non-stick frying pan: This pan is for cooking apples with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. This is the topping that makes German apple pancakes taste so good!
Everything you will need to make these simple Dutch apple pancakes! Simple ingredients create a perfect puff pancake recipe!
- Eggs- large eggs work well with this recipe.
- Milk- This is a taste preference thing. Use any kind of milk you normally drink. I've used whole milk and skim and the results are the same.
- Flour- all-purpose flour is perfect for puffed pancakes.
- Butter- again, this is a preference thing- you can use salted or unsalted butter. I prefer using salted to bring out the sweetness.
- Apples- Granny Smith apples will give the flavor of apple pie, but if you want to use other baking apples, like Cortland apples, that works too.
- Sugar- granulated sugar for cooking down apples and confectioner sugar to sprinkle on top!
- Cinnamon- the best spice when it comes to cooked apple topping for this Dutch Baby recipe!
Putting together this apple puffed pancake recipe is pretty quick and easy.
To start, you will want to preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Place 3 Tablespoons of butter into an oven-safe pan like a cast-iron skillet, and place this into the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
While your pan and butter are heating up, take out your blender, (I like this blender I found on Amazon), to blend your eggs, flour, and milk. Blend ingredients for 25-30 seconds and pour batter into your prepared pan.
Return to bake for 25 minutes.
While your puff pancake crust is baking, peel and slice apples into 1/2-inch slices. This apple peeler and slicer is awesome because it is so fast! I use it all the time to make this puffed apple pancake as well as my apple pie and apple sauce recipes.
Melt the remaining butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced apples with granulated sugar and cinnamon. Cook until soft, which will be about 10 minutes.
Remove pan from oven and notice the crust will be puffed up the sides and the center will have big bubbles. Do not pop these! They will relax once your filling of cooked fruit is added.
Pour warm cooked apples and cinnamon mixture into the center of the puffed pancake. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and cut into pie slices to serve!
The blender and oven do all the work! I like to make this with sautéed apples, however grilled peaches or plums would be fantastic too.
Puffed pancake filling options
If apples are not an option for you for this dish, not to worry! We have both sweet and savory ideas for you:
You can enjoy this puffed pancake for breakfast, especially on National Pancake Day!
But you may want to switch it up a bit and serve as dessert! All you have to do is slice like a pie- and enjoy!
Other recipes to try with Dutch Baby pancakes:
You could think of these as side dishes or maybe just recipes to serve alongside these pancakes for a fabulous breakfast or brunch table!
A printable recipe for Apple Puffed Pancake is below!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup flour
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3-4 medium apples, granny smith work great, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place 3 Tbsp. butter into 10” oven-safe pan and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- In a blender, mix 3 eggs, flour, and milk. Blend for 25-30 seconds. Pour into prepared pan. Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes.
While pancake is baking:
- Melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in another frying pan over medium heat. Peel and slice apples in ½ inch slices and add to the pan with sugar and cinnamon. Cook apples until soft; about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven; the crust will be puffed with big bubbles- don’t pop them- they will relax when the fruit is added.
- Pour warm fruit into center of the pancake. Sprinkle with confectioner sugar and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DII CAMZ10660 Woven Heavyweight Kitchen Set, Dishtowel & Dishcloth S/6, Holiday Checks, 6 Piece
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25
Johnny Apple Peeler with Suction Base, Stainless Steel Blades, Red Cast Iron Body | Apple Slicer, Corer, Parer and Pie Maker VKP1010
Kuhn Rikon 3-Set Original Swiss Peeler, Red/Green/Yellow
Ninja Professional 72oz Countertop Blender with 1000-Watt Base and Total Crushing Technology for Smoothies, Ice and Frozen Fruit (BL610), Black
All-Clad E785S264/E785S263 HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free 8 and 10-Inch Fry Pan Cookware Set, 2-Piece, Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
original post 3/12/19
updated post 4/28/20, 9/15/20