When I want to make a special breakfast treat, I think of this apple puffed pancake. Even though the presentation looks as if I slaved in the kitchen for hours, it really is very simple to make. The blender and oven do all the work! I like to make this with sautéed apples, however grilled peaches or plums would be fantastic too.
When this is placed on the table, it just oozes “you are special” just like the syrupy cinnamon that coats each slice of apple. I love that of all the recipes I make, this is the one my father requests most. Our house has a birthday coming up soon, kids returning from college and Mother’s Day and Father’s Day are around the corner. Looks like I’ll be making this quite a bit and I couldn’t be happier.
I like to use this cast iron pan– it melts the butter just right and creates a beautiful crisp bottom layer. Because of the great heat conductivity, the pancake puffs really high!
Not to worry- this is exactly what it should look like when it comes out of the oven. Once you top with the hot fruit, it will settle down and soak in all the goodness.
Slice like a pie- and enjoy!
A printable recipe for Apple Puffed Pancake is below!
Perfect Apple Puffed Pancake
Apples and cinnamon come together to create a delicious center for this puffed pancake. Make with peaches or plums too! Or try a savory version with mushrooms, onions and goat cheese!
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup flour
- 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3-4 medium apples (granny smith work great), peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place 3 Tbsp. butter into 10” oven-safe pan and place in oven for 5 minutes.
- In blender, mix 3 eggs, flour and milk. Blend for 25-30 seconds. Pour into prepared pan. Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- While pancake is baking:
- Melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in another frying pan over medium heat. Peel and slice apples in ½ inch slices and add to pan with sugar and cinnamon. Cook apples until soft; about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven; crust will be puffed with big bubbles- don’t pop them- they will relax when fruit is added.
- Pour warm fruit into center of pancake. Sprinkle with confectioner sugar and serve!
What deliciousness will you put in the center? Snap a pic of your recipe and share on Instagram with the hashtag #eatpicks so we can see!