The best brioche French Toast recipe starts with a loaf of buttery, sweet bread and topped with fresh berries. It is the perfect dish to serve breakfast in bed, or a special treat to enjoy on the weekend. Either way, it is delicious and will be enjoyed by anyone and everyone!
Pretty soon, berries will be fresh for the picking and will be enjoyed on anything and everything, from pancakes to granola, but especially on this delicious breakfast recipe for Brioche French Toast!
This is a dish that feels so fancy, not because you slaved in the kitchen, but because you are using wonderful ingredients.
What Makes Brioche Different than Most Bread?
No one can deny that brioche bread is a treat. It is light, eggy, and slightly sweet flavor and texture are perfect for
- bread pudding
- and of course French toast!
I am speaking purely from experience as I have tried this decadent baked good in all the above examples.
Hey, someone has to do it, right?
The Best Brioche French Toast Recipe
To make this decadent treat, you will, of course, need to have a loaf of brioche bread. You can make homemade or for ease, just buy at the local grocery store or bakery.
- bakery (or homemade) Brioche Bread
- half & half
- Nielsen-Massey vanilla (my favorite brand!)
How to Make the Best Brioche French Toast
Slice bread into 2-inch slices and set aside. Try not to sneak a bite or two. It will be hard, but I know you can do it!
Heat frying pan over medium-high heat with vegetable oil.
Working in small batches, dip one side of sliced bread into the egg mixture so that it is wet, but not soaked. Flip and dip the other side. A fork & your finger works really well with this step.
Place dipped bread into the hot pan and cook until golden brown. Do not crowd the pan as you may only fit 2 pieces at a time.
Serve with butter, berries, syrup or confectioner sugar.
Where can You find Brioche Bread?
So, how did I discover brioche French toast? A Whole Foods Market opened in our area and you can bet your bottom dollar I was there for the opening day with bells on.
I tried to overlook the mayhem of shoppers in every single aisle – you would think they never shopped in a grocery store before- and went to the bakery to check out the goods.
Of course, everything looked beautiful, which made me want ALL THE BREAD THINGS but to keep myself from entering into a gluten coma, I carefully picked up a 2-for-1-deal of, you guessed it- brioche bread.
- I found this deal in the bakery section of the store.
- If your store has a bakery where they make specialty loaves of bread, this is where to go.
- You can also stop at your local bakery as I am sure they will have it there as well.
One loaf disappeared pretty quickly but the other sat around for another week until I realized it was still in the breadbasket. I did not want it to go to waste, so I decided to make French toast.
It was so delicious; I don’t think I’ll ever go back to regular bread again.
Topped with melted butter, fresh berries and a little dusting of confectioner sugar and that’s all she wrote. So darn good.
Can You Toast Brioche Bread?
The simple answer is YES! Brioche bread toasts with a lovely crisp crumb and a soft, chewy center.
If you slice and toast, be sure to set your toaster to a lighter setting so you do not burn the bread.
What is Brioche Bread Used For?
Brioche bread has many uses for enjoying this delicate eggy bread. Make sure to look for the signature shiny crust to know you've found this pillowy goodness.
- Enjoy as a fancy dinner roll for holiday dinners or entertaining guests.
- When ordering your favorite burger, you may notice that it is served on a brioche bun instead of a hard roll.
- Use in your favorite bread pudding recipe. The flavor will be divine when baked and served!
- Of course, this makes the best french toast too!
Some of our Favorite Kitchen Tools you will need to Make the Best French Toast
- Non-stick Pan (I love my LeCreuset 10-inch pan!)
- Nylon Spatula
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Cooking Apron
If you like this recipe, here are a few more you may like too!
If you're looking for a way to enjoy as a casserole, here is another great recipe to try!
- 1 loaf bakery, or homemade Brioche Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup half & half
- 1 ½ tsp. Nielsen-Massey vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Slice bread into 2-inch slices and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together rest of ingredients and pour into a shallow dish- like a pie dish.
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil.
- Working in small batches, dip one side of sliced bread into egg mixture so that it is wet, but not soaked. Flip and dip other side.
- Place dipped bread into the hot pan and cook until golden brown. Do not crowd the pan as you may only fit 2 pieces at a time. Turn and repeat on opposite side.
- Repeat until all bread is cooked.
- Serve with butter, berries, syrup or confectioner sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 226mg Sodium: 411mg Carbohydrates: 40g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g
original post: 2/11/19