If you want to make the BEST buffalo chicken dip recipe, this is it! Our baked dip is full of juicy, tender chicken marinated in Franks buffalo chicken wing sauce over cream cheese and topped with shredded cheese! Get your tortilla chips or celery sticks and carrot sticks ready for the ultimate buffalo dip recipe to serve at your family gatherings!
There are a gazillion recipes for easy appetizers, but our chicken wing dip, full of shredded chicken and buffalo sauce really is the best! I've made this for more parties than I can count and is perfect for your next party, whether a football party or New Year's Eve party it is a perfect appetizer!
Cooked chicken breasts are marinated in Frank's buffalo wing sauce and taste so good! I've used a version of this recipe to make buffalo chicken grilled cheese which is amazing, and also added it to make a buffalo chicken mac N cheese that is the ultimate in a comfort food dish!
I love how simple this recipe is. Just a few items make this dip so addictive!
- Chicken Breast – Boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves, sliced into thin cutlets. It makes cooking much faster.
- Cream cheese- use full fat or fat-free cream cheese. Either one tastes delicious.
- Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce– to get the true flavor of chicken wings, this is the sauce you want to use.
- Cheddar & Monterey Jack cheese- I like to use this mixture of shredded cheese, but If you prefer one over the other, use it!
- Olive oil- Your favorite brand olive oil will cook your chicken perfectly.
- Salt and pepper- Nothing fancy, just simple spices.
The first thing I like to do is cut my chicken breasts into thin cutlets as this allows them to cook faster.
On a cutting board, slice chicken breast into thin slices. Salt and pepper on top.
Pour 1 Tablespoon olive oil into your frying pan. Over medium heat, place prepared chicken slices spiced side down.
Cook until golden brown, then turn and repeat until chicken is cooked through and golden brown.
Repeat this process until all chicken is cooked.
Cut cooked chicken breast into bite-sized pieces or shred chicken with two forks and place it into a dish or large bowl.
Pour Franks Buffalo Wing sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.
Marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight. An hour of marinating is plenty, but if you want to make this a day before, you can.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Spread softened cream cheese in the bottom of a 9×11 inch pan or baking dish.
Pour mixture of the marinated chicken and frank's hot sauce over top of the cream cheese. Using a rubber spatula, scrape all the sauce out of the bowl to really get all the flavor of buffalo wings into your dip. Next, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top of chicken. If you want to add extra cheese, try shredded colby or sharp cheddar cheese.
There are many different ways to make this buffalo chicken wing dip recipe. Here are some of the more popular versions of this appetizer:
- Blue cheese dressing: I've seen recipes that call for blue cheese dressing to be stirred into the cream cheese or blue cheese crumbles sprinkled on top. If you like blue cheese, give this a try!
- Ranch dressing: Yep- this is another dressing option! I would probably drizzle the ranch dressing over the top of this dip for added flavor.
- Hot sauce: If the buffalo chicken wing sauce isn't hot enough for you, sprinkle a shake or two of your favorite hot sauce over the top.
What type of chicken can I use in this recipe?
- Chicken breast: I almost always use fresh chicken breast cooked with salt and pepper.
- Rotisserie chicken: When I don't use fresh chicken, this is what I use. It's convenient to pick up a cooked chicken at the store and shred what I need.
- Canned chicken: This is also a great option for this chicken wing dip recipe. If you have it in your pantry, use it. Open the can, put the chicken in a bowl and cover with the wing sauce.
How to cook buffalo chicken wing dip?
There are a few ways you can cook chicken wing dip. I like to make mine in the oven so that it is heated through and is nice and gooey and creamy.
You can also make it in a microwave or make a buffalo chicken wing dip in a crockpot!
Can I freeze buffalo chicken wing dip?
I would suggest not freezing this recipe because the cream cheese will not freeze well. This is a snack I would make the day before or the day you want to serve it.
How long does this dip last?
I never have leftovers of this wing dip when I serve at a party. If I make it for just me and my husband, I will use a small oval baker and put the rest in the refrigerator. This delicious recipe tastes even better the next day if you can believe it! This will stay fresh for about 2 days.
Whether you decide to make your buffalo chicken wing dip with blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, or no dressing, or if you make in the crockpot or bake it in the oven, our recipe really is the BEST buffalo chicken dip out there!!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves, sliced into thin cutlets.
- 1 (8oz.) pkg. cream cheese softened.
- 1 bottle Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Cheddar & Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pour about 1 Tbsp olive oil into a frying pan.
- Place thinly sliced chicken into pan and salt and pepper each piece.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Turn and repeat with salt and pepper and until chicken is cooked through and golden brown.
- Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces (or shred with two forks) and place it into a baking dish or bowl.
- Cover with 1/2 bottle of Franks Wing sauce.
- Marinate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread softened cream cheese in the bottom of 9x11 pan with the back of the spoon or stirring spatula.
- Top cream cheese with marinated chicken and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serve this with cut vegetables or tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Frank's RedHot Wings Buffalo Sauce, Wing Marinade, 23 oz (Pack of 6)
Tostitos Crispy Rounds Tortilla Chips, 3 Ounce (Pack of 28)
Swiss Diamond 2 Piece Set: Fry Pan Duo - 9.5" and 11"
Pyrex 4.8-qt Oblong Baking Dish with Red Lid
Cholula Hot Sauce Variety Pack - 5 Different Flavors
LIFVER Serving Bowls, 36 Ounces Porcelain Large Bowls Set, White Bowl Set for Salad, Soup, Dessert, Set of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 12g
original post: 1/10/10
updated post: 5/6/20, 8/1/21, added more tips and recipe video