Homemade Orange Lemonade is the perfect go-to recipe to quench your thirst during the dog days of summer. Fresh oranges and lemons combined with a from-scratch simple syrup will have you sipping in leisure in no time.
There is something really refreshing about combining oranges and lemons together when making lemonade. The sweetness of the orange offsets the tartness of the lemon and together, they create a deliciously fresh drink to enjoy on a hot day.
If you love citrus flavors of lemon and orange, like me, then you are going to love this lemonade recipe! It is so easy to make and I know you will have a pitcher in the fridge all summer long!
Best lemonade combines lemon and orange
Nothing cools you off like a nice long sip of cool, sweet lemonade. When the kids were younger, I often opted for the sweet sugar mixes found in the grocery aisle, but soon realized it was just as easy to make fresh old fashion lemonade from simple syrup and a combo of lemon orange juice.
You know what? It's not hard to make homemade lemonade!
Freshly squeezed citrus also makes your house smell good too!
Tools you need to make orange lemonade
Here are some tools and kitchen items to have on hand to help make this recipe even easier!
- Small sauce pot This will be used to make your simple syrup.
- Mason jars Use simple mason jars as drinking glasses for that old-time feel.
- Wooden spoons for stirring all the juice in a pitcher.
- Citrus reamer for making fresh orange and lemon juice. Or you can use my favorite juicer to squeeze every last drop out of your fruit.
- Paper Straws so many pretty patterns are available on straws, so pick a few favorites!
- Drink Pitcher– At least a 2-quart sized pitcher will be needed for lemonade recipe.
Homemade orange lemonade calls for simple syrup which is actually great for any cold drink recipe that needs granulated sugar to sweeten like iced tea or iced coffee. The reason simple syrup is nice to have as a sweetener is that it dissolves in cold liquid right away and doesn't leave sugar granules at the bottom of your glass.
If you make extra, simply keep in the fridge in a sealed jar for up to 3 weeks.
How to make simple syrup
Simple syrup is easy to make. All it takes is equal parts granulated sugar to water.
For this lemonade recipe, I used
- 1 cup sugar to 1 cup water.
- Simmer sugar and water in a small saucepot over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Cool before adding to the drink mixture.
- That’s it!
Can you add flavors to simple syrup?
Absolutely! You can get creative with infusing flavors by adding a few mint leaves, rosemary sprigs, vanilla beans, or a cinnamon stick to the heating process. Once sugar dissolves, remove the flavor infuser before cooling.
A few other flavor favorites:
- Thyme – this tastes great in our strawberry lemonade!
Your possibilities are endless!
Ingredients for lemonade
- Simple syrup (find recipe above!)
- Freshly squeezed oranges about 2-3 large navel oranges, plus a few slices for pitcher and glasses.
- Freshly squeezed lemons, about 5-6 lemons, plus a few slices for pitcher and glasses
How to make orange lemonade
- Make simple syrup: follow the 1:1 ratio we mentioned above, or follow full steps in our printable recipe below.
- Squeeze oranges: squeeze oranges so that juice fills 1/2 cup. Using a juice press makes this very quick and easy.
- Squeeze lemons: squeeze lemons to fill a full cup of liquid.
- Add simple syrup & water
- Fill with ice & stir!
How to serve orange lemonade
When serving this homemade lemonade recipe, I like to use clear glass pitchers. Glass pitchers look amazing with lemon and orange slices floating with the ice cubes, and for some reason, it looks extra thirst-quenching!
Use tall glasses or mason jars filled with ice and a few slices of orange and lemon.
Fill with lemonade and a festive paper straw.
What foods pair with orange lemonade?
If you want to share this yummy drink with friends and family, which I really hope you do, then you can enjoy this with any meal, snack, or dessert!
We like to drink this lemonade while eating roasted shrimp, buffalo chicken dip, and Caprese toast appetizer. It also hits the spot with sweet treats too like easy cherry hand pies and watermelon slice cookies!
If you love THE best orange lemonade recipe as much as my family does, please help me share the love by sharing on Facebook and Pinterest! You can also leave a review on the recipe card below!
And be sure to tag us @eatpicks – #eatpicks if you share on Instagram!
- ¾ cup simple syrup
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice, (about 2-3 oranges)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, (about 5-6 lemons)
- 6 cups Water
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- Place ¾ cup sugar and ¾ cup water into small saucepan and bring to simmer. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Squeeze oranges to fill ½ cup. Squeeze lemons to fill 1 cup. Strain juices to catch any seed into a 2qt. pitcher.
- Add simple syrup and stir.
- Add 6 cups water and stir.
- Add lemon and orange slices.
- Chill and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 200 Count Paper Straws,Box Package,4 Fresh Color 7.75 Inch Drinking Straws
- Tiptree Lemon Curd, 11 Ounce Jar (312g)
- CDWERD 4pcs Summer Lemon Throw Pillow Covers 18x18 Inches Buffalo Check Summer Decorations Farmhouse Pillowcase Cotton Linen Cushion Case Home Decor for Car Sofa Bed Couch
- Borosilicate Glass Pitcher with Lid and Spout - 68 Ounces Cold and Hot Water Carafe with Unique Diamond Pattern, Beverage Pitcher for Homemade Iced Tea and Juice.
- Chef'n FreshForce Citrus Juicer (Lemon)
- Bormioli Rocco Romantic Water Glass [Set Of 4] | 10.25 oz Premium Glass Set For Refreshments, Soda & Beverages | Italian Quality Glassware, Perfect For Dinner Parties, Bars & Restaurants
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 1g
Original post: 7/24/16
Updated post: 4/4/19, 6/12/20