When fall arrives, it's time to break out our favorite appliance for our homemade crock pot applesauce! This is a recipe that is perfect for seasonal apples picked at your local orchard or a grocery store.
Slow Cooker Must-Have Recipes
Fall has my family craving one of our favorite recipes, homemade applesauce! I always thought that making this was so labor-intensive, but really, this is one of the easiest mix of ingredients to ever grace your kitchen, I promise.
Basically, you will need only 3 things to make this:
- Crock-Pot – One of the best appliances to have year-round!
- Apples- 6-12 fresh apples (depending on the size) peeled, cored, and roughly chopped.
- Cinnamon- which is optional!
Lastly, add a little bit of water (about a cup). Put all these together, turn your crockpot on low and you are on your way to the best crockpot applesauce!
Easy Homemade Crock Pot Applesauce
I love going to one of our local orchards to pick apples, but when this fun family activity provides more fruit than anyone can possibly eat, plus there tends to be a few dented or bruised selections on the bottom of the bag.
What Apple Makes the Best Applesauce?
When visiting the local orchard, I tend to pick McIntosh for both Apple Pie and applesauce. I like how this variety breaks down when cooked leaving a nice sweet, yet tart finish.
You could mix in Cortland as well for a fresh flavor.
I would not use Red Delicious for this recipe because it will be very bitter. Red Delicious apples are perfect for snacking rather than baking or cooking.
How Do I Make Applesauce Taste Better?
Making this fruit snack from scratch is really a treat. If you want to make it taste better, you can add a pinch of the following to bring that flavor up a notch!
- nutmeg – use freshly grated nutmeg for extra fresh flavor
How Long Will Homemade Applesauce Last in the Refrigerator?
After this has cooked and cooled, store homemade applesauce in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for a week to 10 days. If you would like to keep it longer, consider placing it in a ziplock bag.
Remove as much air as possible out of the bag before sealing and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What Can I serve applesauce With?
I love making this dish because it is so easy! It is great to serve as a side dish or snack and also tastes great on top of pork chops or over our delicious potato pancake recipe!
Other serving ideas:
- Place on top of your muffin or cornbread.
- Place a nice dollop on a sausage.
- Use in place of oil or butter in cookies or quick bread.
- Stir into morning oatmeal.
How will you serve your new recipe?
If you make this dish, please let us know! Share on Instagram and tag @eatpicks and use hashtag #eatpicks.
We would love to have you share on Pinterest and Facebook too!
- 6-10 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Cup water
- cinnamon (optional)
- Peel and chop 6-10 apples (depending on size)
- Place in Crockpot and add water
- Cover with lid and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.
- Lift the lid and stir with a spoon.
- When fruit is easily stirred and breaks into the sauce, it is done.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- Place in the fridge.
This should keep for about a week
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 26Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 0g
Original post 10/1/18