How to make roasted asparagus in the oven is such an easy way to enjoy a side dish vegetable in a whole new way! Baking asparagus is a perfect cooking method to bring out flavor & add to any main dish or serve during the holidays!
Did you know May is National Asparagus Month? It is, and today is your lucky day because I have a super easy roasted asparagus recipe for you to try.
Asparagus is the star of spring gardens and is packed with quite the nutritional punch. Loaded with vitamins A, C, and K, it is also full of antioxidants placing it as one of the top vegetables to fight off free radicals.
It is full of fiber and a good source of folate too.
Cooking Asparagus on Stove
I normally make this family favorite vegetable by sauteing in a frying pan with a little bit of butter.
But last fall I discovered roasting asparagus in the oven took on a whole new dimension! It was so delicious that it is now our preferred way to enjoy as a side with any meal.
What you need to make roasted asparagus in oven
You will only need a few items to make this asparagus recipe a success.
- Baking Sheet- a simple baking sheet will be the cooking tool of choice. Make sure it is a large enough pan to hold all the asparagus spears in one even layer so that all the spears are touching the baking pan.
- Cooking Tongs– These help to stir the spears as they are cooking and to also remove them from the tray when done roasting.
- Serving dish– if enjoying as a side dish vegetable, use this oval baker or one like it. The shape will work for long asparagus spears.
Ingredients for roasted asparagus
There is no easier recipe for vegetables than this one! Simple ingredients create the best foods!
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Yep. That's it. Only 3 ingredients!
How to roast asparagus in the oven
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.
While oven is heating up, wash and trim the asparagus spears by running under cool water.
Tip: To know where to trim the spears, take one piece of asparagus and gently bend the stalk until it snaps. Place the longest piece next to the bunch lined up at the spear and cut the bunch to match the broken end.
Place spears on the baking sheet in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil and top with salt & pepper.
Toss lightly to cover completely and place in the oven.
Roast asparagus in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.
Remove and place on a plate or in a baking dish.
1-2 bunches fresh asparagus
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. fresh pepper
To make: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Take one stalk out of the bunch and gently bend until stalk snaps. Place this piece next to the bunch and use as a guide, cut the entire asparagus at breaking point.
Place prepped asparagus on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
Cover with salt and pepper and give a light toss.
Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes. Stir gently and roast another 5-10 minutes.
Don't miss any of our fantastic recipes! Sign up for our newsletter and we will send all recipes straight to your inbox!
- 1-2 bunches fresh asparagus
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash asparagus.
- Take one stalk out of the bunch and gently bend until stalk snaps. Place this piece next to the rest of the asparagus and use as a guide, cut the entire bunch at breaking point.
- Place prepped asparagus on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with salt and pepper and give a light toss.
- Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes. Stir gently and roast another 5-10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KooK Gravy Boat and Tray, Ceramic Make, 17oz, White
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass 9.5 Inch Pie Plate (2-Pack)
Le Cadeaux 297BEN 10" X 5" Biscuit Tray Benidorm, 10 inches, Yellow
OXO Good Grips 9-Inch Locking Tongs with Nylon Heads
Adjustable Bib Apron with Pockets - Extra Long Ties, Commercial Grade, Unisex - Black/White Pinstripe (33 x 27 Inches) - Homwe
USA Pan Bakeware Quarter Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 33Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1164mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Original post: 5/22/14
Updated post: 9/1/20