This chocolate Nutella cookie recipe is just what you need for your cookie tray. Full of chocolate hazelnut flavor, rolled in sugar, these chewy Nutella cookies are a great treat to keep in the cookie jar!
If you love hazelnut and chocolate, then you are going to love this Nutella sugar cookie recipe. These baked cookies are so so chewy and soft and taste amazing when dunked in milk or your favorite cup of coffee or tea.
Super soft Nutella sugar cookies
I first tried this cookie recipe after watching a Food Network Halloween holiday episode. The original recipe rolled the Nutella cookie balls in orange sugar and had a Hershey Kiss placed on top like a peanut butter blossom cookie.
I did not have orange sugar or candy kisses, so I decided to bake them like our classic sugar cookie recipe, only Nutella chocolate!
Ingredients for chocolate Nutella cookies
To make chocolate Nutella cookies, you will need:
- Nutella- chocolate- hazelnut spread that has been a family favorite for years!
- Flour– all-purpose flour works great for this cookie.
- Sugar– I like granular sugar because it bakes and sticks to cookie balls really well.
- Brown sugar – if you want lighter cookies, use light brown sugar, if darker cookie, dark brown. As far as flavor, it doesn't make a difference which one you use.
- Baking soda – an ingredient that is important when it comes to baking!
- Butter – I like using salted butter with this recipe to bring out the rich chocolate flavor!
- Egg – Just 1 egg is needed!
- Vanilla- Pure vanilla extract is best. If you want to try making your own vanilla, we have a great recipe for homemade vanilla!
Nutella filled cookies are so yummy, especially warm, right from the oven!
How to make chewy Nutella cookies
Make sure to preheat your oven ahead of time to 375 degrees.
Whenever I bake cookies or make our special Nutella Muddy Buddies Chex Mix, I always line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat because it creates a non-stick surface and is easy to clean up.
In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, or in your stand mixer, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth.
Add egg and vanilla, and mix well.
Spoon in Nutella and mix until creamy.
Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined into a nice workable cookie dough.
With a cookie scoop or spoon, make walnut size balls and roll in sugar. Place cookie balls on a prepared parchment-lined baking pan.
Bake for 8 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Baking Tip: Remove cookies from the wire rack and place it on a dinner plate. Allow to cool completely and enjoy a super-soft cookie as the result!
Topping ideas for cookies
As I mentioned earlier, these were inspired by watching Giada making Halloween cookie treats but you could make these for any holiday gathering. What a yummy addition to the holiday cookie exchange!
- Orange sugar sprinkles
- Orange jimmies or sprinkles
- Chocolate Hershey Kiss
- Drizzle of caramel sauce
- Peanut butter baking chips
- Chocolate baking chips
- 1 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, or in your stand mixer, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla, and mix well.
- Add Nutella and mix until creamy.
- Gradually add dry ingredients until combined into a nice workable cookie dough.
- With a cookie scoop or spoon, make walnut size balls and roll in sugar.
- Place cookie balls on a parchment-lined tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kitchen Dish Towels with Vintage Design for Kitchen Decor Super Absorbent 100% Natural Cotton Kitchen Towels (Size: 25.5 x 15.5 inches) White with Red, Green and Blue, 13-Pack
Home Basics Tin Kitchen Food Storage Organization Canister Collection (Cookie Jar with Cover, Ivory)
USA Pan Bakeware Quarter Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Perfect Topping for Pancakes, 26.5 Ounce (Pack of 1)
Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
Original Post 3/15/10
Updated Post 4/18/20