This is a very easy chicken pot pie recipe full of tender chicken, vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and flaky crust. Make this a quick meal to serve your family during the week.
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and you're looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine. This recipe is for you.
The Best Fall Comfort Foods
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is one I keep handy for days where time seems to pass faster than I realize and need to get dinner started quickly.
Easiest Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and you're looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine.
When the clock says 3 o'clock, and dinner plans are not finalized, a run to the grocery store is a must.
Quick tips for this easy recipe if you are pressed for time:
- Pick up a couple of fresh rotisserie chickens in the deli department. This is always my “already cooked” protein of choice, and I can use the leftover carcass to make a nice bone broth or soup.
- Grab a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup and a Pillsbury Pie Crust.
I know- you are probably going to ask “Kelly, why don't I make everything from scratch?!” and I will say because your family is going to be hungry in an hour!
I can be a purist when it comes to pie crust, but when pressed for time, store-bought pie crust is the way to go.
Other Chicken Pot Pie Crusts to Consider:
Crust choices for pot pies are truly a personal one. If you don't care for a traditional pie crust, try these options instead:
Can You Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch?
Can you make chicken pot pie from scratch? Of course! You can't beat using the perfect roasted chicken with homemade crust and creamy gravy filling.
But, sometimes it's okay to use soup in chicken pot pie.
When it comes to crunching time, throwing together the essential ingredients, even if they are store-bought, still has a very tasty outcome.
Have turkey leftovers? Try our Turkey Pot Pie recipe for a great way to use up all the big meal leftovers!
Ingredient Tips for How to Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What makes this recipe so easy? When in a time crunch, using store-bought ingredients not only saves a lot of time, but it also tastes delicious.
- Use a store-bought pie crust to save time. All you have to do is let it sit for 15 minutes before placing in a pie dish and that's it! I like to use Pillsbury Pie Crust for best results.
- Canned soup is also a time-saver when making this recipe. Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup is a great choice! Add extra flavor using broth instead of water.
- And you can't forget to include frozen vegetables in your chicken pot pie! Just add straight to your soup mixture before pouring into the pie crust.
Such an easy recipe! And I know you will add it to your weekly meal plan rotation!
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
This question comes up a lot and the answer is yes! The best way to achieve this is to prepare your chicken pot pie up to the point before baking.
Freezing Tip: On top of the foil, write baking time and temperature in sharpie marker and the date you froze your dish.
Be sure the center is bubbling and crust is baked before removing.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- 1 Package Pillsbury Pie Crust brought to room temperature
- 1 10 oz. can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 1/2 cups shredded roasted chicken (or rotisserie chicken)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup water, or chicken broth
- garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
To ensure your potpie cooks evenly, be sure to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. This will make this dish cook thoroughly and create that golden flaky crust!
Next, you will place 1 pie crust sheet that has been defrosted for 15 minutes in the bottom of the 9-inch pie plate. Set this aside so it is ready to pour your filling.
Now, over medium heat, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onions and cook uncovered until soft and translucent. This should take about 5 minutes or so.
Add soup and water (or broth), and stir until hot and a little bubbly. I like to use a wooden spoon for this cooking step because it is better for the pan and also makes me feel like I am cooking a homemade meal!
This recipe uses one bag of frozen mixed vegetables and now is the step to add them to your saucepan. Stir to incorporate into the soup mixture until nice hot.
There is nothing easier or quicker for a hearty meal than grabbing a rotisserie chicken at the store. I throw one of these in my shopping cart at least once a week to save time.
In this instance, I just shred up the meat and add it to the pot with spices and simmer it until it starts to bubble.
Pour mixture into the pie shell you set aside and drape the second pastry shell over the top.
Seal the crust with your fingers or with the tines of a fork to keep all the gravy goodness inside!
Slice 4 small slits in the top crust with a paring knife to allow the steam to vent while baking.
Best Kitchen Cooking Tip!!
Cook pot pie 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
Be sure to Grab our Free Shopping List Printable Download for Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients! You will never forget your key ingredients again!
If you love this Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe, please help me share the love by sharing on Facebook and Pinterest!
And be sure to tag us @eatpicks- #eatpicks if you share on Instagram so I can see!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
So whip out your favorite apron, and here is a printable recipe!
- 1 package Pillsbury Pie Crust, brought to room temperature
- 1 10 oz can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 1/2 cups shredded roasted chicken, or rotisserie chicken
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup water
- garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In 9-inch pie plate place one pie crust shell in bottom of dish.
- Over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add soup and water and stir until hot.
- Add frozen vegetables, stir.
- Add chicken and spices, stir until all ingredients are combined and simmer until just starting to bubble.
- Pour chicken and vegetable mixture into pie shell.
- Place second pie crust over the top.
- Seal together and slice 4 slits into top crust to vent.
- Place on a sheet pan (to catch any drips) and cook 30-35min or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 831mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g