Did you know Potato pancakes are easy to make? Using six ingredients, you can have delicious cakes that are crispy on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside.
Crispy Potato Pancakes
I love eating potato pancakes at the local German pub. They are perfectly crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, and taste amazing with either applesauce or sour cream. Believe it or not, these little bites of heaven are easier to make than you may think!
Are you a fan of sweet potatoes? You will want to check our recipe for Crispy Oven Shredded Sweet Potatoes! They are cooked in coconut oil making them a great vegan side dish!
Tools You Will Need to Make the Best Potato Pancakes
How to Make Potato Pancakes
So, let's get this party started. I mentioned above that you will need cheesecloth and I should tell you, a little square goes a long way; you will not have to use the whole package.
If you have a choice between a non-stick coated pan or cast iron, go for the cast iron. A seasoned cast iron skillet is non-stick, provides a golden crust on food like no other.
A printable recipe can be found below.
With a box grater, shred potato and onion.
Place both potato and onion into a piece of cut cheesecloth (a square the size of a piece of paper is plenty) and squeeze really well. Set aside. Wait a few minutes and squeeze again. You’ll be surprised how much liquid comes out!
In a separate bowl, combine flour, egg, and about ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper. Add potato and onion to a bowl and stir well.
Heat a few tablespoons of canola oil in the pan over med-high heat.
Place a packed teaspoon of mixture into a heated pan and spread with the back of a spoon making a small disc.
Now, cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes) then flip to cook the other side.
Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
Repeat the process adding a little oil as needed until all is cooked.
Serve with applesauce or sour cream and chives or you can simply enjoy just plain!
Other ideas for Enjoying Potato Pancakes
Not only can you enjoy potato pancakes as a main dish, but you can also use as a topping and more! Check out these ideas:
- Chips & Dip
- Mini Pizzas
- Soup toppings
- Salad topping
- Open Egg Sandwich
These easy potato pancakes will be the rage! The possibilities are endless and delicious.
If you love potatoes, we have some other delicious potato recipes to try!
- Sausage Kale Sweet Potato Soup
- Crockpot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Easy Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Thyme
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
- 1 large russet potato, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 large egg
- Salt & pepper
- Canola oil
- With a box grater, shred potato and onion.
- Place both potato and onion into a piece of cut cheesecloth (a square the size of a piece of paper is plenty) and squeeze really well. Set aside. Wait a few minutes and squeeze again. You’ll be surprised how much liquid comes out!
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, egg and about ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper. Add potato and onion to the bowl and stir well.
- Heat a few tablespoons of canola oil in a pan over med-high heat.
- Place a packed teaspoon of mixture into heated pan and spread with back of spoon making a small disc.
- Cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes) and flip to cook on other side until golden brown.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Repeat process adding a little oil as needed until all is cooked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 51mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g