In my neck of the woods the weather folks keep telling us the “January Thaw” is here…meaning the temps are in the 30-40 degree range. Well, that is still C-O-L-D if you ask me!
When the weather is- let’s say- brisk, I love cooking meals that fill the house with smells of warmth and down right goodness. What are my favorites? I love the long and slow…like a great pot roast, beef brisket or a roasted chicken. The latter probably being my favorite.
Roasting a chicken is down right easy…ANYONE can make this delicious meal! Honest! I’m going to share my favorite recipe and I would love for you to try it as well. Come back and let me know how it turned out!
The Perfect Roast Chicken
Perfectly roasted chicken every time! The secret is using olive oil and cooking slow.
- 4-5 lb Chicken
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1 large onion, cut in quaters
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup water
- Remove bag of chicken parts from the cavity.
- Rinse chicken under cold water & pat dry with paper towel.
- In baking dish, arrange carrots, onions and garlic in bottom of dish to create a "rack"
- Place chicken on top of vegetables and rub entire bird with olive oil.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder inside cavity and all over bird.
- Top with sprig of thyme.
- Add water to dish and bake in 350 degree oven uncovered for 2 hours or as directed on roasting instructions.
- When Chicken tests 165 degrees on meat thermometer, remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
Serving Size 4-6
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
I am also trying out a new recipe feature on the site…let me know if you like it or not…