Oven roasted shrimp is a recipe that is easy to prepare for a quick appetizer or dinner. Hot & juicy shrimp baked in the oven come out perfectly every time. Enjoy with just salt & pepper, or serve with your favorite cocktail sauce!
When we have last-minute guests or I'm looking for an easy dinner to get on the table quickly, I turn to one of my favorite ingredients- shrimp!
If you are a fan of easy shrimp recipes, then you also have to try our surf and turf appetizer, garlic parm shrimp, and our recipe for teriyaki shrimp kebabs. All are delicious and can start with baking shrimp in the oven!
Tools Needed for Oven roasted shrimp
Whether you start with raw shrimp or already frozen shrimp, you will only need a few items to make this delicious baked shrimp.
- Sheet Pan: A simple baking sheet pan is all you need to bake shrimp. This can be a small or large sheet pan.
- Colander: This will be very helpful if you're working with frozen shrimp and need to defrost quickly.
- Toothpicks: If serving as an appetizer, toothpicks are really handy to have for your guests.
- Serving Platter: Having a serving platter for hot juicy shrimp is all you need because they are baked!
Ingredients for baked shrimp
When it comes to recipe ingredients, this is probably one of the easiest lists you will find!
- Shrimp: I like to use Extra Jumbo, which is usually shrimp size 16/20 or Colossal shrimp size 13/15. The numbers mean how many pieces of shrimp you would find in the bag. This is true for both frozen cooked shrimp or frozen raw shrimp.
- Olive oil: I use California Brand olive oil because I like the taste. If you have another brand, use that!
- Salt & Pepper: The spice pair that goes into all cooking recipes!
How to Bake Shrimp in Oven
We have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post if you need this recipe in a hurry, however, I hope you will continue to read our helpful tips for how to bake shrimp in the oven!
For this particular recipe:
Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees.
If your shrimp are frozen, place in a colander under cold running water to defrost. This should take about 15 minutes.
Make sure your shrimp are peeled and deveined. You can leave the tails on or take them off; this is totally your preference. When I serve this as an appetizer, I like to keep the tails on, but if I will use shrimp in a recipe, I will take them off.
Place thawed shrimp in a single layer on your baking sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place shrimp in the oven and bake for 8-9 minutes. They will be pink when cooked.
Oven Roasted Shrimp Perfect Party Food
Can oven-roasted shrimp be a substitute for the traditional cold shrimp cocktail? Absolutely!
Because this dish is cooked in the oven, it's a nice change of pace to surprise guests with a warm shrimp cocktail. In fact, our guests actually prefer the warm, oven-roasted method over the traditional cold shrimp cocktail recipe.
Something about hot shrimp makes one feel decadent and special, so this will always make an appearance on the New Year's Eve buffet table!
When making this recipe, I use one of two available sizes in the extra-large shrimp category. In the freezer section, search for either Extra Jumbo, which is usually size 16/20 or Colossal size 13/15 to create a filling appetizer.
The numbers indicate the approximate count of shrimp you will have in each bag.
Taking this dish to a party? I like to transport it in my Pyrex Insulated dish because it stays warm for a long time!
Rarely will you have any leftovers!
Top 4 Questions We are Asked About How to Make Shrimp in the Oven
1. Can you bake shrimp?
The easy answer is yes, and it's delicious!
2. How long to bake shrimp at 400?
Making shrimp in the oven is easy! Place thawed shrimp in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake 8-10 minutes.
When shrimp are pink, they are done.
3. How long to bake shrimp at 375?
Same answer as above, only cooking time will be a little longer due to decreased temperature. Cook time should be 10-12 minutes.
When shrimp are pink, they are done.
4. Can you cook frozen shrimp in the oven?
This answer is two-fold. Frozen shrimp comes either raw or already cooked and both will need to be thawed before cooking.
You can defrost overnight in the fridge, or place in a colander under cold running water for about 15-20 minutes.
Be sure to stir to break up any sticking.
Raw shrimp can be cooked according to the directions above.
Cooked shrimp will only take 5-8 minutes, depending on the oven temperature.
Cooked shrimp only needs to be reheated, so do not leave in for too long or it will become rubbery.
Other ways to serve baked shrimp
Oven-baked shrimp tastes delicious all on its own but you can also dress it up a little! Add different spices before baking and think about adding to your favorite main dishes too!
- Old Bay Seasoning: Try adding a bit of warm spice to your shrimp using Old Bay Seafood seasoning!
- Lemon: Add a bit of lemon zest and or lemon juice for a pop of flavor!
- Salad: Add oven-roasted shrimp to your tossed green salad for added protein! Yum!
- Quesadillas: Layered shrimp, cheese, salsa, and guacamole would taste great on a flour tortilla!
- Tacos: Taco Tuesday just got a bit tastier! Add your baked shrimp for a quick dinner!
- Pasta: Adding seafood to pasta tastes amazing! Roasted shrimp tastes especially good in our Cacio e Pepe recipe. Add a bit of garlic, and it tastes like shrimp scampi!
If you love this recipe for oven-roasted shrimp as much as I do, please help me share the love by sharing on Facebook and Pinterest!
And be sure to tag us @eatpicks – #eatpicks if you share on Instagram!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 1 16 oz. bag Frozen Extra Large Jumbo Shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Thaw shrimp according to package directions. Peel & devein if necessary. Leave tails on or take off completely; your preference.
- Place on a sheet pan in one layer, giving enough space on pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over top of shrimp, then salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, just until pink and firm.
- Serve with your favorite cocktail sauce or add to any dish calling for cooked shrimp.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gibson Elite 98760.01R Luxembourg Handpainted 14" Serving Platter, Blue and Cream w/Floral Designs
McCormick Old Bay Old Bay Cans, 1 LB
USA Pan Bakeware Quarter Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Mercer Culinary M22003 Millennia 3.5-Inch Paring Knife, Black
Pro Quality Nut Milk Bag - XL12"X12" Bags - Commercial Grade Reusable All Purpose Food Strainer - Food Grade BPA-Free - Ultra Strong Fine Nylon Mesh - Nutmilk, Juices, Cold Brew - Recipes & Videos… (1)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 33Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Original post: 2/2/19
Updated post: 6/3/20