Everyone loves a Valentine treat of Nutella muddy buddies! Made with chocolatey hazelnut spread and Chex cereal, this no-bake treat is great for your sweetheart or to enjoy any time!
Easy Valentine Nutella and Chex Cereal
Looking for a perfect Valentine treat for that special someone? Nutella Muddy Buddies are easy, no-bake, and delicious!
Now, I know chocolate is usually the go-to choice for most, but the deep love of chocolate and hazelnut combination found in Nutella should not be overlooked.
If you love this hazelnut flavor spread, then you know the cult-like following this sweet little ingredient has on folks. You can put it on everything from toast, ice cream, cookies, or just dig in with a good old spoon.
What to use to make no-bake dessert
This is a fun treat to make with the kids because it doesn't have to be baked!
You will need
- Large mixing bowl- to mix all the ingredients for the snack.
- Wooden spoon or silicone spatula– you need to stir up the Nutella and butter and mix in with the cereal.
- Wax paper– to spread out the mixture to cool and set.
- Zip Lock Bag– to shake the sugar coating all over.
- Paper Treat cups– I used a similar version of these cute paper treat cups. You can find them in the party supply section in the store or order on Amazon.
Nutella Muddy Buddies ingredients
- Chex cereal (I used Rice)
- Mini-semi sweet chocolate chips
- Butter (1 stick)
- Confectioner sugar
How to make chocolate hazelnut treat
Pour cereal into a large bowl.
In a 2 cup (or larger) glass measuring cup, place chocolate chips, butter (cut in chunks), and Nutella. Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Cook again for 30 seconds. Stir.
Add vanilla to chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.
Pour over cereal and fold gently. Try to cover as much cereal as possible.
Pour coated cereal into bag and seal tightly. Shake well.
Pour out coated cereal onto wax paper to cool completely.
Shake colored sprinkles over cereal (optional)
Store in airtight container.
Is it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies?
I normally do not make muddy buddies or as some call “puppy chow.” I patiently wait for the holidays to roll around because I know a bag of this sweet treat arrives beautifully wrapped from my neighbor.
It is an addicting snack and I'm grateful it is only in the house once a year. I didn't realize they were SO easy.
Most recipes call for chocolate and peanut butter, but I thought let’s add Nutella!
So, I give you a special Valentine treat the Nutella Muddy Buddy. I’ve added red, pink, and white sprinkles for the day of love, but you could custom make this mix for any holiday.
Other Holiday Suggestions:
- St. Patrick's Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Football Game
- Mother's Day, Father's Day
- Baby Shower
- Bridal Shower
- Road Trip
- Movie Night
How to Gift Muddy Buddy Treats
This recipe will stay fresh in an air-tight container or in a Zip-Lock bag, however, if you are searching for a way to share as a gift, I have a few ideas to get you started:
- Place in a clear treat bag and tie closed with a pretty ribbon or a special gnome printable gift tag.
- Use festive paper ice cream cups like the one we used.
- Chinese Food Take-out containers are a unique box to share this treat.
You can really customize this Nutella muddy buddies for any occasion and have this delicious, chocolatey, crunchy snack as is or enjoy with add-ins like pretzels, m&m's, marshmallows, nuts, or more cereal! This is the recipe that really can morph into any flavor combo you want!
Say “I Love You” with a Sweet Treat
Nothing says “I love you” more than something homemade. Whether that is a handmade card full of sweet prose or a gourmet meal, taking the time to create something special is the nicest gift of all.
- 9 cups Chex cereal, I used Rice
- ½ cup mini-semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Nutella
- ¼ cup butter, 1 stick
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups confectioner sugar
- Pour cereal into a large bowl.
- In 2 cup (or larger) glass measuring cup, place chocolate chips, butter (cut in chunks) and Nutella.
- Cook in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Cook again for 30 seconds. Stir.
- Add vanilla to chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour over cereal and fold gently. Try to cover as much cereal as possible.
- In a gallon sized zip lock bag, add confectioner sugar.
- Pour coated cereal into bag and seal tightly. Shake well.
- Pour out coated cereal onto wax paper to cool completely.
- Shake colored sprinkles over cereal (optional)
- Store in airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
2 PCS Valentines Day Gnome Plush - Mr and Mrs Scandinavian Tomte Elf Decorations - Stuffed Plushie Ornaments - Swedish Tomte Dwarf Figurines Table Gnomes Decor Gifts Presents
Valentines Garden Flag, Buffalo Plaid Love Heart Arrow Yard Flag, Double Sided Burlap Flag, Valentines Day Garden Banner for Outdoor/Yard/Farmhouse/Home/Wedding/Anniversary Decor, 12.5x18 Inch
Rainbow Colors MINI Candy Nut Paper Cups - MINI Baking Liners - Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Purple - Polka Dot - 100 Pack
Ziploc Storage Bags, Gallon, Mega Pack, 150 ct (2 Pack, 75 ct)
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Perfect Topping for Pancakes, 26.5 Ounce (Pack of 1)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 203mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g