How to Make Best BBQ Chicken Recipe in a Crockpot using only 2 simple ingredients! Enjoy this easy dish for a weeknight dinner or set and forget until your guests arrive for the Big Game Party. Either way, this crockpot barbecue chicken recipe is delicious and will become your new favorite.
I am all for easy recipes. If I can make them in my Crockpot or Slow Cooker, all the better and this barbecue chicken recipe qualifies as both tasty and easy; so easy in fact, I've made this with my young nephews aged 6 and 4!
BBQ Chicken in Crockpot
Barbecue Chicken or any BBQ for that matter starts with the sauce. It is a personal preference thing and what I like may not be what you like and that is completely acceptable.
Make a batch of homemade sauce with brown sugar or grab your favorite BBQ Sauce in a jar; either one will work perfectly with this dish.
Some of my favorite jarred Barbecue sauce you can get in the store:
- Sweet Baby Rays
- Bulls Eye
- Fords Gourmet Bone Suckin' Sauce
How to Make BBQ Chicken Recipe in Crockpot
It's as simple as placing your fresh chicken, I like to use chicken breasts or chicken thighs, in a crockpot, pouring your barbecue sauce of choice on top, and turning on your crockpot, to let it slow cook for a few hours! I'm sure you could use an instant pot, but I haven't tried that method yet.
To give this recipe an added healthy benefit, I cube up sweet potatoes to cook in the slow cooker. I love the flavor profile it creates!
- boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I use STUBB’S )
- Sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional)
Place chicken in a crockpot and cover with the entire bottle of sauce.
If using sweet potatoes, now is the time to add them.
Cover and cook on low. This is the magic right here- this dish does not take very long, only 3 hours! hours.
Can You Put Frozen Chicken in Crockpot?
Yes. If you're like me and forget to defrost your chicken in the morning, you can most certainly put your frozen boneless chicken breast in the slow cooker. Be sure to cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
Can You Shred Chicken Breast?
Yes! After cooking in the liquid for a few hours, the chicken breast becomes super tender and makes an easy pulled bbq chicken!
When fully cooked, remove chicken and place on a plate. Shred with two forks or if you want bigger chunks of meat, break apart with your fingers. Place shredded meat back in the crockpot and stir to mix in with the sauce!
This easy crockpot chicken recipe is so full of flavor from the BBQ sauce and is one of our favorite meals to make.
What Goes with BBQ Pulled Chicken
This easy chicken recipe is enjoyable all on its own, but you can also dress it up to fit into any meal plan!
- Place shredded chicken on top of mixed green salad along with veggies like carrots, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- Serve over couscous or rice for a hearty meal.
- Make a plate of nachos with your favorite cheese and tortilla chips.
- Serve as a tasty taco alternative for Taco Tuesday.
- Make as a delicious BBQ Chicken quesadilla!
Use this recipe as a base for pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches topped with slaw and make sure to refrigerate your leftovers and place on top of your favorite pizza or try our Easy Keto Pizza Recipe!
If you liked this recipe, try our other favorites too, like
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese
- Crockpot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Easy Oven Roasted Shrimp
- Bundt Pan Lemon Pound Cake
- 4 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, I use STUBB’S
- 3 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional)
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Cover with entire bottle of sauce.
- If using sweet potatoes, add before sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and stir.
- Serve on sandwich rolls with a green salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 39g
original post 11/2/18