Rich and creamy mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish for just about any holiday meal. However, they’re so quick and easy to make, you’ll want to enjoy them throughout the year.
Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite foods to eat. I love them as a main dish, in soups like our Sausage Kale & Sweet Potato recipe and they are even awesome as an added punch of flavor to our BBQ Crockpot Chicken!
They are a staple on the holiday meal table and make the best side dish around.
Are Sweet Potatoes Good For You?
Sweet potatoes are as nutritious as they are delicious. They contain fewer calories and are higher in fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C than their white counterparts and are full of antioxidants according to Health.com.
If you are looking for a side dish that will pack a nutritional punch, then this creamy mashed sweet potato dish is the one to make!
What tools are good for Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
I'm glad you asked! If you are looking for super creamy sweet potatoes, then you will want to make sure to have these kitchen tools on hand to make the job easy!
- Immersion Blender – I LOVE this gadget! It is great to have on hand for smoothies or to make creamy soups like our butternut squash soup!
- Potato Masher
- Hand Held Mixer – don't have the above tools? A hand mixer is also great for making these potatoes nice and creamy.
- Pot Drainer
Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Thyme
Time-Saving Tip: The smaller the sweet potatoes are cut before boiling, the faster they will cook.
Start with large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed. Use a good sharp chef's knife (I like Wusthof 8-inch chef knife) and a wooden cutting board.
Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and boil. This will probably take about 15-20 minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked, I drain them thoroughly and return to the pot.
Next, I add the flavor gold of butter, cream cheese, and half & half and mash with an immersion blender or a hand-held mixer.
For a thinner consistency, add more half & half, if desired.
Once the potatoes are creamy, stir in thyme leaves, and other spices until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately topped with a spoonful of whipped cream cheese and/or toasted walnuts, if desired.
This side dish looks & tastes as though you worked over the hot stove for hours. Potatoes so creamy and delicious you will want this version of sweet potatoes all year long!
A printable recipe for creamy mashed sweet potatoes is below!
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 T. half and half
- 2 T. fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. ground all-spice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings:
- Whipped cream cheese
- ** Walnuts halves, toasted
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain thoroughly and return to the pot.
- Add butter, cream cheese, and half & half to the sweet potatoes and mash with an immersion blender or a hand-held mixer. For a thinner consistency, add more half & half, if desired.
- Once the potatoes are creamy, stir in thyme leaves, cinnamon, and allspice until well blended.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately topped with a spoonful of whipped cream cheese and/or toasted walnuts, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
PARLAIM Thanksgiving Decorations Window Clings Decor Maple Decals Sticker Autumn Fall Leaves Turkey Pumpkin Decal Stickers, School Home Office Decorations Kids Party Supplies Gifts
LIFVER Serving Bowls, 36 Ounces Porcelain Large Bowls Set, White Bowl Set for Salad, Soup, Dessert, Set of 4
Rocinha Thanksgiving Turkey Candle Holder, Set of 6 Tea Candles Holders Holiday Candlestick Autumn Harvest Thanksgiving Decoration for Home, Table, Fireplace, Window
KooK Gravy Boat and Tray, Ceramic Make, 17oz, White
Benson Mills Harvest Splendor Engineered Printed Fabric Tablecloth, 60-Inch-by-104 Inch
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will have to check out this recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins from my friend April at the blog April Go Lightly, and this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Stew recipe from Lady & the Blog!
Original post: 2/13/19
Updated post: 11/18/19