This Strawberry Lemonade recipe is the perfect copycat for Red Robin's Freckled Lemonade! Full of sweet strawberry, tart lemon, and homemade simple syrup, this refreshing drink will have you saying saying “Yum” with every sip.
Homemade lemonade is so good with fresh citrus and fruits and infused simple syrup! My recipe for orange lemonade is always in the fridge to enjoy with our light summer recipes like garlic shrimp, breaded chicken, and lemon pound cake!
But we are always happy when the strawberry season arrives and when our pitcher is full of this delicious homemade strawberry lemonade!
Strawberry lemonade recipe from scratch
This drink recipe tastes great all year round but will taste really delicious when strawberries are in season.
Sweet strawberries and tart lemon paired simple syrup infused with thyme is different and very tasty! Serve this lemonade straight from the pitcher, or if you want to make this into an adult beverage, add your favorite vodka or gin for a great cocktail.
If you like basil, you should also try our Strawberry Basil Spritzer. It is super refreshing too!
Items needed for strawberry freckled lemonade
- Simple Syrup– we have an easy recipe for you below!
- Small saucepan – this is perfect for making the thyme-infused simple syrup. If you don't like thyme, try basil like in our strawberry-basil spritzer!
- granulated sugar for simple syrup.
- fresh thyme this fragrant herb from the garden creates just a hint of flavor when infused in the syrup for lemonade.
- mason jars serving lemonade in mason jar glasses just makes you feel like you are on a country porch rocking chair!
- glass pitcher having a glass pitcher for lemonade looks pretty with sliced strawberries!
- muddler is a great kitchen tool to have for making quick drinks with fruit and herbs.
- cutting board for slicing up your fresh strawberries and cutting lemons in half for squeezing!
- paring knife is great for slicing small items like fruit and cheese.
How to make simple syrup recipe
This lemonade recipe tastes very similar to a Red Robin Freckled lemonade, however, the restaurant version is so sweet! When I created this copycat recipe, I prefer to make a simple syrup so I can control the sugar and switch up the flavor just a little bit by adding in the thyme to the lemonade.
Use a 1 to 1 ratio of sugar to water. Simmer over low heat until sugar dissolves.
For this recipe:
- 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water and 1 big sprig of fresh thyme from my patio garden.
- Cook the herb sprig in the sugar water to get all the fabulous flavor and then pluck it out before pouring into your jar.
- I used mine in my glass, but you can toss it if you want. Save simple syrup in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Ingredients for freckled strawberry lemonade
I think the name for this drink came from muddling the strawberries in the bottom of the glass. When you add the water and stir, the berries create a speckled look, making it like a freckled lemonade!
- Simple Syrup
- Sliced strawberries
- Lemon, juiced
How to make strawberry lemonade
Homemade lemonade is so refreshing and once you start making it, you will want to have it all the time! A printable recipe can be found below!
In a tall or wide mouth mason jar glass, add sliced strawberries.
Squeeze in fresh lemon juice with a citrus juicer or by hand!
Pour in simple syrup and add ice.
Fill glass with water and stir.
Serve with a fresh strawberry garnish and enjoy!
More strawberry recipes!
If you love fresh strawberries, then you have to try our other strawberry recipes because they are just too good to miss!
Red, white, and blue stuffed strawberries– are fresh berries filled with a sweet almond cheesecake filling!
Strawberry pulp quick bread– after making our strawberry basil spritzer, we had some pulp leftover and it created a scrumptious strawberry bread!
Strawberry rhubarb muffins– pairs sweet strawberries with tart rhubarb in a wonderfully moist muffin to enjoy for breakfast or as a picnic snack.
and this recipe for quick and easy strawberry shortcake is on my list to try too!
What are your favorite strawberry recipes?
- Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Combine sugar and water (and thyme if infusing) in small saucepan.
- Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Remove thyme sprig and pour into mason jar or container.
- Keep in fridge.
- Strawberry lemonade
- In 16oz. glass (pint glass) add 1/4 cup simple syrup
- Add 1/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries.
- Muddle to mix.
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Add ice and then water to fill glass.
- Add thyme sprig and sliced strawberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- MSC International 88233 Joie MSC Simply Slice Strawberry Slicer, Red
- HIC Harold Import Co. 21000 Mojito Muddler, FSC-Certified Beechwood
- Medium Plastic Serving Tray- Red, White and Blue Patriotic
- Libbey Able Glasses with Lids, Set of 8
- Chef'n FreshForce Citrus Juicer (Lemon)
- 200 Count Paper Straws,Box Package,4 Fresh Color 7.75 Inch Drinking Straws
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 0gSugar: 60gProtein: 0g
We made a fun video for this recipe on YouTube!
Original post: 8/14/16
Updated post: 6/17/20