Tuna salad to go is a different tuna salad recipe to enjoy for lunch. It uses simple, fresh ingredients, like canned tuna, asparagus, and lettuce making it a healthy way to get protein and veggies into your diet.
When you see a recipe for tuna salad, you probably think of tuna mixed with a big heap of mayonnaise squished between two pieces of bread.
If you added a few potato chips under the top slice of bread for some good measure, you would have my childhood lunch.
Now that we're grown-ups and watching all the calories, fat, and well, everything we put into our diet, this recipe will check all the boxes. Believe it or not, this tuna salad doesn't have any dressing.
Yes, you read that correctly; no dressing or mayonnaise or anything “extra.”
This is a good tuna salad recipe because you're actually making a salad with tuna on top! It's pretty tasty!
- Canned Tuna: this is a pure taste preference. I used Albacore tuna packed in water, but if you like it in olive oil, that is perfectly fine too.
- Romaine Lettuce: I like this type of lettuce for this salad because it chops up and stays crisp. I use this Salad Chopper I found on Amazon. It's very easy and fast to use.
- Roma tomato: these are the oblong-shaped tomatoes you find in the produce section. If they are not available you can substitute cherry tomatoes instead!
- Asparagus: for this fresh salad, I used raw asparagus, but if you have roasted asparagus, you can use that too!
- Sliced Almonds: gives that added little crunch in every bite. If you are not a nut fan or cannot eat them, leave them out altogether.
- Salt & Pepper: salt and pepper are the everyday spices you should add to every salad you make!
- Garlic Powder: Trust me, this little spice will add so much flavor to your tuna salad!! Yum!
- Lemon Zest: To make all the flavors POP, use lemon zest! It makes this lunch taste so fresh and light.
The secret ingredient for this dish is lemon zest! Anytime you need a pop of flavor, always break out your Microplane and zest away my friends. A little goes a long way, so you will only need about a teaspoon for this tuna in salad recipe.
- Wash, clean, and dry your lettuce and vegetables before putting your salad together.
- Chop lettuce with salad chopper like mine, or you can cut with a knife into 1-inch pieces.
- Chop asparagus and tomato into bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl: add drained tuna, asparagus, tomato, nuts, and spices. Toss lightly. Add lemon zest and toss a second time.
- In a serving bowl: add chopped lettuce and top with tuna mixture.
This recipe is perfect for mason jars too! Pack a few jars to have on hand for the week and you have tuna salad to go!
How to build tuna salad in mason jar
- Start with lettuce on the bottom of the jar.
- Top with drained tuna.
- Add your asparagus, then top with tomatoes.
- Add lemon zest and spices.
- Close mason jar lid and place in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, shake gently and eat straight from the jar or pour contents into a bowl or onto a plate.
I love this tuna with salad because it's easy, makes a great lunch to add to my weekly meal plan, and tastes great. A grown-up spin on the classic tuna salad recipe!
- 1 can tuna (5 oz.) in water, drained
- 1 head romaine heart lettuce, chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 3-4 asparagus spears, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, optional
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- In a large glass bowl, chop washed lettuce with salad shears into 1" pieces
- In a separate bowl, Add drained tuna, veggies, nuts and salt & garlic powder. Toss lightly. Add lemon zest and toss.
- Add bowl of tuna salad to chopped lettuce and serve.
If making in mason jars, add chopped lettuce to bottom 1/3 of a jar, then add tuna mixture and top with more lettuce. Seal jar and place in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Citrus Lemon Zester & Cheese Grater by AdeptChef - Parmesan Cheese, Lemon, Ginger, Garlic, Nutmeg, Vegetables, Fruits - Razor-sharp Stainless Steel Blade Protective Cover, Dishwasher Safe
Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore in Water (5 oz. can, 8 pk.)
Ball Wide Mouth Mason Jars (16 oz/Capacity) [6 Pack] with Airtight lids and Bands. For Canning, Fermenting, Pickling, Decor - Freezing, Microwave And Dishwasher Safe. Bundled With SEWANTA Jar Opener
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1211mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 12gSugar: 8gProtein: 12g
Original post 3/31/17