Have a craving for some creamy delicious homemade ice cream, but lack the fancy machine to make it?
What if I said you didn't need an ice cream maker machine for this recipe? That's right!
Items needed to make no-churn ice cream
To make this easy ice cream, you only need a few items like:
- Stand Mixer- If you have a stand mixer like this Kitchen Aid Mixer or Cuisinart mixer, this is perfect. If you have a hand mixer, this will work too, just make sure it has a whisk attachment, as beaters will just take a few more minutes.
- Loaf Pan- a standard loaf pan (like what you would use for baking banana bread) is a great size, or you can use leftover plastic gelato containers as I have.
- Mixing Bowl- A nice glass bowl works for the ingredients for this ice cream to keep them cold!
Ingredients for no-churn cherry chocolate chunk ice cream
Simple ingredients placed together create the ultimate creamy dessert. To get the full measurements and directions, we have a printable recipe card below.
- Fresh cherries – fresh cherries are perfect for this ice cream recipe. Be sure to wash and pit with a cherry pitter, or you can also use frozen dark cherries.
- Sugar- make sure to use granulated sugar and not confectioners sugar!
- Heavy whipping cream- This is a must for ice cream- and make sure it is very cold.
- Sweetened condensed milk- is what makes this a no-churn ice cream and provides the smoothest results!
- Water- just a little bit of water for cooking the cherries is all you need.
- Vanilla extract- Vanilla makes everything taste good!
- Vanilla bean (optional)- I like to put vanilla bean paste in many of my baked goods. Adding it to ice cream is just a given- but it is also optional and not required!
- Semi-sweet chocolate – gives a nice balance of sweet and tart chocolate flavor. If you like dark chocolate, this will work too! I mean, is there anything that tastes better than cherries and chocolate?!
What can you add to no-churn ice cream
What can you add to this homemade ice cream? So many options, but here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Nuts- like walnuts or cashews will taste so good with cherry and chocolate!
- Brownies- crumble up a brownie or two to for an added surprise.
- Peanut butter
- Crushed cookies
- Graham crackers
- Fruit jam
- Fresh chopped peaches
How to make no-churn cherry chocolate ice cream
Putting together this ice cream recipe takes only a few simple steps and it truly tastes so much better than store-bought ice cream.
Cook fresh cherries: Wash and pit cherries, then cut them in half using a paring knife.
Combine cherries, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Stir often, until cherries break and liquid becomes a syrup; about 10 minutes.
In a glass mixing bowl, place syrup mixture and set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Place bowl in the fridge to cool completely an additional 15 minutes.
To prepare ice cream base: In a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, add heavy whipping cream and whip the cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean (optional) on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
Chop the chocolate into chunks and gently fold into the whipped ice cream mixture.
To freeze ice cream, spoon half the cream mixture into an 8-inch loaf pan or 1-1/2 qt freezer-safe container. Next, spoon half the cherry mixture on top of the cream and gently swirl in with a knife.
Repeat with the remaining cream and cherry mixture.
Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours to overnight. Once the ice cream is set, cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
Use your favorite ice cream scoop and serve in a cone or dish!
Your homemade cherry chocolate chip ice cream will keep for 2 weeks.
If you love cherry desserts, make sure you try our easy dessert for Cherry Hand Pies; only 2 ingredients!
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted halved and frozen or thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold heavy cream, very cold
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean (optional)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks, rough chopped
- Place cherries, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Stir often, until cherries break and liquid becomes a syrup; about 10 minutes.
- Place syrup mixture in a separate bowl and place aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place bowl in the fridge to cool completely an additional 15 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, whip cream, condensed milk, vanilla, and vanilla bean (optional) on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in chocolate chunks.
- Spoon half the mixture into an 8-inch loaf pan, or 1-1/2 qt freezer-safe container.
- Spoon half the cherry mixture on top of the cream and gently swirl in with a knife. Repeat with the remaining cream and cherry mixture.
- Place in freezer at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Once set, cover with plastic wrap and freeze. Ice cream will keep for 2 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Joy Cone, Waffle Cone, 12 ct
- Enjoy Life Foods Semi Sweet Mega-Chunks Chocolate, 10 oz
- Porcelain Serving Bowls for Cereal, Pasta,Soup, 21-Ounce, Set of 6 Assorted Colors
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- OXO Good Grips Cherry and Olive Pitter, Red
- Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop with Comfortable Handle, Mint
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g
original post: 7/27/15