Make the BEST cast iron skillet chocolate chip cookie with this easy recipe! This family favorite is perfect for a quick dessert or a special birthday treat. No one can resist this giant chewy cookie!
If you thought your cast iron skillet was only for cooking, think again! We love making our Porterhouse steak in cast iron, but we also love to bake in this versatile piece of cookware.
Whenever I make this giant cookie, I am always amazed at how easy it is to make this skillet chocolate chip cookie from scratch! I've made this for last-minute guests, birthday requests, and college care packages.
Homemade deliciousness in every single bite!
As much as I love baking cookies on a cookie tray, it's nice to have one big cookie to serve. You will only need one large bowl to mix all the ingredients and a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
THERE IS A PRINTABLE RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST!
To make this chocolate chip skillet cookie, you will need:
- Butter: salted or unsalted is totally up to you. I tend to use salted butter.
- Flour– All-purpose flour is perfect for this cookie recipe.
- Egg– one large egg is all you need.
- Brown Sugar – you can use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar, it's really up to you. The only difference it will make is the depth of color your cookie will have.
- Sugar – Using white granulated sugar or natural cane sugar is totally fine!
- Baking Soda – a little is all that is needed, but make sure not to skip this ingredient!
- Salt – Since I use salted butter, I cut back a little on this. But you can use table, kosher or sea salt if you use unsalted butter.
- Vanilla – You can use homemade vanilla extract or store-bought. I have also started to add vanilla bean paste and wow, what a great flavor it creates!
- Chocolate Chips – I like to use 2 different sizes when it comes to chips. I use mini and chocolate chunks. Lately, I've been using Enjoy Life brand and they bake beautifully.
Prepare your cast iron skillet: grease entire inside of the skillet with butter.
Preheat oven: to 350 degrees.
Combine dough ingredients: In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
Add to pan: Add cookie dough to buttered cast iron and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Additional serving ideas
Some tasty topping ideas for skillet cookie:
- Ice cream: add your favorite vanilla bean ice cream or cherry chocolate ice cream or cookies & cream for added cookie flavor!
- Chopped nuts: try chopped peanuts, pecans or walnuts.
- Whipped Cream: top with homemade whipped cream or your favorite store brand!
- Sauces: chocolate syrup or a drizzle of caramel sauce would be amazing. Why not both?!
What is a Pizookie?
I know! Strange name isn't it? A Pizookie is the combination of a pizza and a cookie. It's like my two favorite food names came together.
What can I make in mini cast iron skillets?
Our recipe is made in a 10-inch skillet, however, you can also make individual skillet cookies too! Use the 8-inch cast iron pan and prepare the same way using 1/2 cup of dough. Bake time will be much less- about 10 minutes.
- 6 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 10-inch cast iron skillet with butter
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars.
- Add egg & vanilla extract and paste
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Add the dough into prepared pan. Spread with the back of a spoon to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 3g