Make the BEST cast iron skillet chocolate chip cookie with this easy recipe! This family favorite is perfect for a quick dessert or a special birthday treat. No one can resist this giant chewy cookie!
Whenever I make this giant cookie, I am always amazed at how easy it is to make this skillet chocolate chip cookie from scratch! I've made this for last-minute guests, birthday requests, and college care packages.
Homemade deliciousness in every single bite!
As much as I love baking cookies on a cookie tray, it's nice to have one big cookie to serve. You will only need one large bowl to mix all the ingredients and a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
THERE IS A PRINTABLE RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST!
To make this chocolate chip skillet cookie, you will need:
- Butter: salted or unsalted is totally up to you. I tend to use salted butter.
- Flour– All-purpose flour is perfect for this cookie recipe.
- Egg– one large egg is all you need.
- Brown Sugar – you can use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar, it's really up to you. The only difference it will make is the depth of color your cookie will have.
- Sugar – Using white granulated sugar or natural cane sugar is totally fine!
- Baking Soda – a little is all that is needed, but make sure not to skip this ingredient!
- Salt – Since I use salted butter, I cut back a little on this. But you can use table, kosher or sea salt if you use unsalted butter.
- Vanilla – You can use homemade vanilla extract or store-bought. I have also started to add vanilla bean paste and wow, what a great flavor it creates!
- Chocolate Chips – I like to use 2 different sizes when it comes to chips. I use mini and chocolate chunks. Lately, I've been using Enjoy Life brand and they bake beautifully.
Prepare your cast iron skillet: grease entire inside of the skillet with butter.
Preheat oven: to 350 degrees.
Combine dough ingredients: In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
Add to pan: Add cookie dough to buttered cast iron and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Additional serving ideas
Some tasty topping ideas for skillet cookie:
- Ice cream: add your favorite vanilla bean ice cream or cherry chocolate ice cream or cookies & cream for added cookie flavor!
- Chopped nuts: try chopped peanuts, pecans or walnuts.
- Whipped Cream: top with homemade whipped cream or your favorite store brand!
- Sauces: chocolate syrup or a drizzle of caramel sauce would be amazing. Why not both?!
What is a Pizookie?
I know! Strange name isn't it? A Pizookie is the combination of a pizza and a cookie. It's like my two favorite food names came together.
What can I make in mini cast iron skillets?
Our recipe is made in a 10-inch skillet, however, you can also make individual skillet cookies too! Use the 8-inch cast iron pan and prepare the same way using 1/2 cup of dough. Bake time will be much less- about 10 minutes.
- 6 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 10-inch cast iron skillet with butter
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars.
- Add egg & vanilla extract and paste
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Add the dough into prepared pan. Spread with the back of a spoon to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 3g