Make the BEST cast iron skillet chocolate chip cookie with this easy recipe! This family favorite is perfect for a quick dessert or a special birthday treat. No one can resist this giant chewy cookie!
If you thought your cast iron skillet was only for cooking, think again! We love making our Porterhouse steak in cast iron, but we also love to bake in this versatile piece of cookware.
Whenever I make this giant cookie, I am always amazed at how easy it is to make this skillet chocolate chip cookie from scratch!
I've made this for last-minute guests, birthday requests, and college care packages. Homemade deliciousness in every single bite!
Related recipes: Monster Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Chip Dessert Ball, Chocolate Chip Cake, Chocolatey Gooey S'mores Bars
As much as I love baking cookies on a cookie tray, it's nice to have one big cookie to serve. You will only need one large bowl to mix all the ingredients and a 10-inch cast iron skillet
Ingredients for cast-iron skillet cookie
To make this chocolate chip skillet cookie, you will need:
- Butter: salted or unsalted is totally up to you. I tend to use salted butter.
- Flour– All-purpose flour is perfect for this cookie recipe.
- Egg– one large egg is all you need.
- Brown Sugar – you can use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar, it's really up to you. The only difference it will make is the depth of color your cookie will have.
- Sugar – Using white granulated sugar or natural cane sugar is totally fine!
- Baking Soda – a little is all that is needed, but make sure not to skip this ingredient!
- Salt – Since I use salted butter, I cut back a little on this. But you can use table, kosher or sea salt if you use unsalted butter.
- Vanilla – You can use homemade vanilla extract or store-bought. I have also started to add vanilla bean paste and wow, what a great flavor it creates!
- Chocolate Chips – I like to use 2 different sizes when it comes to chips. I use mini and chocolate chunks. Lately, I've been using Enjoy Life brand and they bake beautifully.
How to make a cast iron skillet chocolate chip cookie
- Prepare your cast iron skillet: grease the entire inside of the skillet with butter.
- Preheat oven: to 350 degrees.
- Combine dough ingredients: In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix in chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
- Add to pan: Add cookie dough to buttered cast iron and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Additional serving ideas
Some tasty topping ideas for skillet cookie:
- Ice cream: add your favorite vanilla bean ice cream or cherry chocolate ice cream or cookies & cream for added cookie flavor!
- Chopped nuts: try chopped peanuts, pecans or walnuts.
- Whipped Cream: top with homemade whipped cream or your favorite store brand!
- Sauces: chocolate syrup or a drizzle of caramel sauce would be amazing. Why not both?!
What is a Pizookie?
I know! Strange name isn't it? A Pizookie is the combination of a pizza and a cookie. It's like my two favorite food names came together.
What can I make in mini cast iron skillets?
Our recipe is made in a 10-inch skillet, however, you can also make individual skillet cookies too! Use the 8-inch cast-iron pan and prepare the same way using 1/2 cup of dough. Bake time will be much less- about 10 minutes.
How to Make Best Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Make the BEST cast iron skillet chocolate chip cookie with this easy family favorite. Perfect chocolate chip cookie for a quick dessert or birthday treat. No one can resist this giant chewy cookie!
- 6 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 10-inch cast iron skillet with butter
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars.
- Add egg & vanilla extract and paste
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Add the dough into prepared pan. Spread with the back of a spoon to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
D'Lifeful Cookie Jar with Airtight Seal and Bamboo Lid - Jars for Candy Storage, Farmhouse Kitchen Canister, Metal Tins for Cookies, Accessories for Kitchens - Vintage Containers with Lids for Food
Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
YOUTAI Oven Mitts and Pot Holders, 4PCS Oven Mitts Set, Heat Resistant up to 572 F/300°C Non-Slip Food Grade Kitchen Mitten Silicone Cooking Gloves for Kitchen, BBQ Cooking Baking Grilling
13-piece Measuring Cups and Spoons Set, 18/8 Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Good Grips with Ring Connector
Enjoy Life Foods Semi Sweet Mega-Chunks Chocolate, 10 oz
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use, 10.25
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 3g
7 Best Fall Festivals to Visit in Capital District | Eat Picks
Friday 27th of January 2023
[…] Cast Iron Skillet Cookie […]
The Best Half Moon Cookies Recipe Ever! | Eat Picks
Sunday 2nd of May 2021
[…] Cookie Recipes to try: Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie, Monster Chocolate Chip Cookies, Classic Sugar Cookies, Nutella Sugar Cookies, Nana's Sand Tart […]
No-Churn Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream | Eat Picks
Wednesday 14th of April 2021
[…] Easy desserts are just as important in my kitchen as the main dish recipes! When the sweet tooth is calling, I will bake a quick batch of sugar cookies or my easy chocolate chip skillet cookie! […]
Favorite 20 Top Recipes from 2020 | Eat Picks
Thursday 31st of December 2020
[…] Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie – This is my go-to dessert when I need something fast. Mixed in one bowl and baked in a cast […]
How to Make Delicious Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies | Eat Picks
Thursday 17th of December 2020
[…] recipes: Monster Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cast Iron Skillet Cookies, Nutella Sugar Cookies, Watermelon Slice Cookies, 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter […]