This make-ahead chicken enchilada recipe is super easy to put together- all you need are tortillas, shredded cooked chicken, cheese, and enchilada sauce. I have made this version with homemade enchilada sauce and with canned sauce; the homemade version is less salty but the canned variety works just as well- especially as a time saver.
If you're looking for some delicious recipe ideas, try these tasty recipes that are really good all year long!
This easy make-ahead chicken enchilada recipe is one of my favorite go-to dishes and when you make this, it will become one of your favorites too!
I hate coming home at 5 o'clock and staring into my fridge or pantry trying to figure out what I'm hungry for; I just want to eat. So, when 5 minutes of planning in the morning before heading out the door translate to a dish just waiting to be thrown in the oven and ready by the time I sort through the mail and pour a glass of wine, it makes me happy.
Every day should be like that, right? Right!
Prepare chicken enchiladas ahead
You can prepare this the night before or as I mentioned above, in the morning before heading out the door.
Just cover with foil and refrigerate until you are ready to make.
It takes only 15 minutes to bake and gives you plenty of time to settle in for a cozy evening.
—-There is a printable recipe at the bottom of this page.—-
Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- Flour Tortillas- Use burrito-size flour tortillas. These bake well and do not get mushy like a corn tortilla.
- Enchilada Sauce- If you have homemade, that's awesome, or if you don't, canned sauce works great.
- Shredded cooked chicken- Leftover chicken is what makes this dish so easy. Rotisserie chicken would be good too.
- Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar work interchangeably, whatever you like. Mix them and use both!
- Jalapeño pepper, diced (optional)- Like a little heat in your dish? Then you will want to add this pepper to the filling!
How to make chicken enchiladas
I really like how this meal can be prepped with leftover chicken and a few pantry ingredients in the morning and baked right before dinner. It tastes like you spent the day in the kitchen!
*If making the night before or in the morning, stop here and cover with foil, and place in the refrigerator.
Helpful Tools & Products
- A glass baking dish like this 9×13 Pyrex dish I found on Amazon is great for this recipe because you can make it ahead and keep it in the fridge, then bake it in the oven and put it right on the table to serve. It's a great dish to have for any recipe.
- Measuring Cups and spoons help to distribute chicken and cheese filling evenly.
- Hot Pad – If you want to put the hot dish right on the table, make sure to put a trivet or hot pad down first so you don't burn your table!
I love simple, easy meals and I can't wait to try this 30-minute low-carb Mexican chicken casserole too!
- 6 Flour Tortillas, Burrito size
- 2 cans (10 oz) Enchilada Sauce
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional)
- Place chicken and 2 cups cheese in a bowl and toss together.
- Divide chicken and cheese mixture between 6 tortillas. Fold ends (or sides) in, then roll tightly and place seam side down in a 9x11 baking dish.
- *If making the night before or in the morning, stop here and cover with foil and place in the refrigerator.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour 2 cans of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and top with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered until cheese melts and is heated through.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream & cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AerWo Mexican Table Runner Upgraded Serape Table Runner, Handwoven Fringe Cotton Serape Blanket Table Runner for Cinco De Mayo Fiesta Party Supplies, 14in x 84in
Norpro 1065 Tortilla Keeper, One Size, As Shown
Mission Flour Tortilla Soft Taco 10ct, 17.5oz (2 packages)
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Food Bakeware and Storage Container (2-Quart, BPA Free Lid)
La Preferida Mexican Foods Red Chile Enchilada Sauce, Mild | Salsa de Chile Rojo para Enchiladas | 10 OZ (Pack of 3)
Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil (Pack of 2)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 663Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 1011mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g
Updated post: 5/3/20, 11/16/22