This make-ahead chicken enchilada recipe is super easy to put together- all you need are tortillas, shredded cooked chicken, cheese, and enchilada sauce. I have made this version with homemade enchilada sauce and with canned sauce; the homemade version is less salty but the canned variety works just as well- especially as a time saver.
If you're looking for some delicious recipe ideas, try these tasty recipes that are really good all year long!
Mexican Pork Roast, steak tacos, homemade empanadas, avocado black bean salsa, or our favorite game day guacamole!
This easy make-ahead chicken enchilada recipe is one of my favorite go-to dishes and when you make this, it will become one of your favorites too!
I hate coming home at 5 o'clock and staring into my fridge or pantry trying to figure out what I'm hungry for; I just want to eat. So, when 5 minutes of planning in the morning before heading out the door translate to a dish just waiting to be thrown in the oven and ready by the time I sort through the mail and pour a glass of wine, it makes me happy.
Every day should be like that, right? Right!
Prepare chicken enchiladas ahead
You can prepare this the night before or as I mentioned above, in the morning before heading out the door.
Just cover with foil and refrigerate until you are ready to make.
It takes only 15 minutes to bake and gives you plenty of time to settle in for a cozy evening.
—-There is a printable recipe at the bottom of this page.—-
Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- Flour Tortillas- Use burrito-size flour tortillas. These bake well and do not get mushy like a corn tortilla.
- Enchilada Sauce- If you have homemade, that's awesome, or if you don't, canned sauce works great.
- Shredded cooked chicken- Leftover chicken is what makes this dish so easy. Rotisserie chicken would be good too.
- Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar work interchangeably, whatever you like. Mix them and use both!
- Jalapeño pepper, diced (optional)- Like a little heat in your dish? Then you will want to add this pepper to the filling!
Related Recipes: Easy Chicken Pot Pie, Italian Breaded Chicken, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Chili Lime Chicken Thighs, Crockpot Chicken Chili, Crockpot BBQ Chicken, Crockpot Enchiladas
How to make chicken enchiladas
I really like how this meal can be prepped with leftover chicken and a few pantry ingredients in the morning and baked right before dinner. It tastes like you spent the day in the kitchen!
Place shredded cooked chicken and 2 cups cheese in a mixing bowl and toss together.
Using measuring cups, divide the chicken and cheese mixture evenly between 6 flour tortillas.
Fold ends (or sides) in, then roll tightly and place seam side down in a 9×11 baking dish.
*If making the night before or in the morning, stop here and cover with foil, and place in the refrigerator.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Pour 2 cans of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and top with shredded cheese.
Bake uncovered until cheese melts and is heated through.
Serve with salsa, sour cream & cilantro.
So super easy and so delicious!
Helpful Tools & Products
- A glass baking dish like this 9×13 Pyrex dish I found on Amazon is great for this recipe because you can make it ahead and keep it in the fridge, then bake it in the oven and put it right on the table to serve. It's a great dish to have for any recipe.
- Measuring Cups and spoons help to distribute chicken and cheese filling evenly.
- Hot Pad – If you want to put the hot dish right on the table, make sure to put a trivet or hot pad down first so you don't burn your table!
I love simple, easy meals and I can't wait to try this 30-minute low-carb Mexican chicken casserole too!
Easy Make Ahead Chicken Enchilada Recipe
Make-Ahead Chicken Enchiladas are bursting with flavorful chicken and spices, wrapped in a flour tortilla and covered with enchilada sauce and cheese. Baked to perfection for a meal that is ready in 20 minutes!
- 6 Flour Tortillas, Burrito size
- 2 cans (10 oz) Enchilada Sauce
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional)
- Place chicken and 2 cups cheese in a bowl and toss together.
- Divide chicken and cheese mixture between 6 tortillas. Fold ends (or sides) in, then roll tightly and place seam side down in a 9x11 baking dish.
- *If making the night before or in the morning, stop here and cover with foil and place in the refrigerator.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour 2 cans of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and top with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered until cheese melts and is heated through.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream & cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AerWo Mexican Table Runner Upgraded Serape Table Runner, Handwoven Fringe Cotton Serape Blanket Table Runner for Cinco De Mayo Fiesta Party Supplies, 14in x 84in
Norpro 1065 Tortilla Keeper, One Size, As Shown
Mission Flour Tortilla Soft Taco 10ct, 17.5oz (2 packages)
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Food Bakeware and Storage Container (2-Quart, BPA Free Lid)
La Preferida Mexican Foods Red Chile Enchilada Sauce, Mild | Salsa de Chile Rojo para Enchiladas | 10 OZ (Pack of 3)
Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil (Pack of 2)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 663Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 1011mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g
Updated post: 5/3/20, 11/16/22
The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe! | Eat Picks
Sunday 1st of August 2021
[…] Recipes: Easy Chicken Pot Pie, Italian Breaded Chicken, Crockpot Chicken Chili, Make Ahead Chicken Enchiladas, Easy Chicken Chili Lime Thighs, Game Day […]
Baked Chicken Pesto Pockets | Eat Picks
Thursday 17th of December 2020
[…] Related recipes: Chicken Pot Pie with Crescent Roll Crust, Easy Chicken Pot Pie, Easy Empanadas, Italian Breaded Chicken, Turkey Pot Pie, Make-Ahead Chicken Enchiladas […]
Amazing Chicken Pot Pie with Crescent Roll Crust | Eat Picks
Thursday 17th of December 2020
[…] Related recipes: Turkey Pot Pie, Chicken Pot Pie, Mardi Gras Crescent Roll King Cakes, Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip, Chicken Pesto Pockets, Easy Italian Breaded Chicken, Make-Ahead Chicken Enchiladas […]
20 Best Make Enchiladas Ahead Of Time - Home, Family, Style and Art Ideas
Wednesday 25th of November 2020
[…] Best Make Enchiladas Ahead Of Time from Easy Make Ahead Chicken Enchilada Recipe. Source Image: eatpicks.com. Visit this site for details: eatpicks.com […]
The Best Make Ahead Chicken Enchiladas – Home, Family, Style and Art Ideas
Friday 13th of November 2020
[…] Best Make Ahead Chicken Enchiladas from Easy Make Ahead Chicken Enchilada Recipe. Source Image: eatpicks.com. Visit this site for details: eatpicks.com […]