Chili Lime Chicken Thighs. Say what? Yep, these little buckaroos are fast, tasty and if you need that salty, tangy taste, this is it! Full of flavor and placed on top of a heaping bed of field greens with chopped avocado and tomato; you can make a bowl call yourself full.
That's basically it. I wish I could tell you more, but it really was that simple. To be honest, I don't really remember when I ate this dish specifically. I know it was on a night that I had worked all day and came home to find two left over chicken thighs that had to be cooked. I was starving and thought, ok- something quick. I saw a lime on the counter and all of a sudden I could just taste what I wanted to eat. Has that ever happened to you?
I wanted a little bit of heat, but not too much, definitely salty but with that tang. Kind of like the lime Tostito chips. Ever have those? They are my weakness, which is why I never have them in the house.
Anyway, I started with a little bit of this and a little bit of that and if I gave myself long enough, would have eaten all the chicken out of this frying pan. I. could. not. stop. So, I grabbed a bowl, threw in some field greens and added the avocado. After a couple bites, I knew I wanted to take a few pictures so I could share this recipe with you. It also gave me an excuse to try out my new lighting kit– which, by the way, is awesome. I can now take pictures at night!! All of these post photos were taken at 9:00 PM! Yep! It's a whole new world of possibilities now.
The tomato addition was an afterthought- I needed a little bit of color in the photo and as it turns out, was a good call.
Give this one a whirl; I think you'll like it.
- 2 chicken thighs, cleaned & trimmed of fat, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 2 cups mixed field green salad
- Heat oil and butter in medium fry pan set at medium high heat and melt butter into oil.
- When melted, add chicken strips. Add cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through; about 5-8 minutes.
- Squeeze lime juice over chicken and stir. Turn off heat.
- In a bowl, add salad greens, chopped tomato and avocado cubes. Top with chicken. Squeeze a little bit of lime on top if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 842mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 17g
Sometimes it's ok to just wing it and see what happens.
In this case, it was something magical.
Like this chicken recipe? Then you will want to try our garlic lemon chicken with capers