This broccoli slaw salad recipe is super easy to make! Full of crunch and topped with a creamy poppy seed dressing, this broccoli slaw mix is ready in five minutes and perfect for a light lunch, easy side dish, or to use as a topping!
Broccoli slaw salad is one of my favorite things to eat for lunch! With just a few ingredients that I can find right in the grocery store, I can whip up a healthy mid-day meal in less than 5 minutes!
You can also use it as a great sandwich topping as we did on our yummy turkey reuben recipe, or to serve as a side dish.
What is broccoli slaw?
Broccoli slaw is a mixture of julienned broccoli stalks, carrots, and sometimes a few added strands of purple cabbage to give it color. It's just like regular coleslaw but instead of using shredded cabbage and carrots, it's made with shredded broccoli stems instead.
There really isn't much to it, but when it comes to a flavorful crunch, and a place to put some extra fixings, this broccoli salad mix checks off all the boxes!
Ingredients for broccoli slaw salad
This is really the easiest salad to put together! I'm sharing how I like to prepare it and I will share more mix-in addition ideas in a bit.
You can find broccoli slaw in the produce section of the grocery store usually right next to the bagged salads and probably right next to the coleslaw!
- Broccoli Slaw- found in the produce section of the store. I order mine from Whole Foods when I can find it.
- Raisins– I like the dark raisins in this salad because they add just a little bit of sweetness.
- Pumpkin seeds– also known as pepita, these add even more crunch and a nice nutty flavor.
- Poppy Seed dressing– I prefer to use this delicious and rich homestyle poppy seed dressing by Briannas. It's super creamy and a little goes a long way!
How to prepare broccoli slaw
This truly is literally opening the ingredients and putting them in a bowl!
For a single serving salad, I like to use a handful of slaw mix and place it in a bowl.
Next, you will add in your raisins and pumpkin seeds.
Top with a little of the poppy seed dressing and gently toss with a fork to mix well.
What to add to salad
Looking for more add-in ideas for your easy broccoli salad? Here are a few items to get you started:
- Peanuts, sunflower seeds, or walnuts
- Yellow raisins or dried cranberries
- Chopped apple
- Slices of hard-boiled eggs
- Cooked bacon
- Poppyseed dressing– don't forget this part! This is the best dressing to use for this broccoli slaw! SO TASTY!
Common questions asked about broccoli coleslaw
How long does broccoli slaw last in the fridge?
If making this salad as a full side dish, or prepping ahead this slaw can last up to 3 days. Be sure to place it in an airtight container.
Can you eat raw broccoli in a salad?
Yes! You can eat and enjoy raw broccoli, just like you do from your favorite veggie tray with dip!
How do you make broccoli slaw from scratch?
Even though I like the convenience of a bagged salad, you can make this simple slaw salad from scratch. Cut off the florets and peel the stems of the fibrous outside. Then using a box grater, shred broccoli for salad.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 1 cup packaged broccoli slaw
- 2 Tablespoons dark raisins
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1/2-1 Tablespoon poppy seed dressing
- Add broccoli slaw to a serving bowl.
- Top with pumpkin seeds and raisins.
- Pour dressing over slaw salad and gently toss to combine completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
24 Pcs Bulk Assorted Artificial Orange White Pumpkins 250 Pcs Fall Artificial Maple Leaves Fall Wedding Party Table Fireplace Decor Wreath Craft Harvest Halloween Pumpkins Thanksgiving Centerpieces
Sun-Maid Natural California Raisins
Brianna's Dressing Rich Poppy Seed 12.0 FO (Pack of 2)
Tabletops Gallery Fashion Dinnerware Collection- Stoneware Dishes Service for 4 Dinner Salad Appitizer Dessert Plate Bowls, 16 Piece Geneva Dinnerware Set
LIFVER Serving Bowls, 36 Ounces Porcelain Large Bowls Set, White Bowl Set for Salad, Soup, Dessert, Set of 4
Cuisinart CTG-00-BG Boxed Grater
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g