This time last year I was cooking a lot of different recipes to take to my father who was returning home from a scary hospital stay. He had surgery on his leg and would not be able to stand for long periods of time, so I thought I would make some easy meals to help with the recovery process. One of my favorite things to make is this easy recipe for stuffed peppers!
This is traditionally made with green peppers, but in this house we are not huge fans of the green variety and lean more toward the multi-colored options. Green peppers can be slightly bitter once cooked where the yellow, red and orange tend to be sweeter and lend a gorgeous flavor and presentation.
Now, that is not to say I won’t use a green pepper, I will just use them sparingly. In this particular dish, I only used one because I had it in the fridge!
Because I was making more than one meal, I wanted to save time and pre-cook the ground beef before stuffing.
Once everything is laid out, this recipe process goes very fast- Perfect for those busy days!
So here I share my recipe straight from my recipe box for stuffed bell peppers!
Recipe for Stuffed Peppers
- 4 medium bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (or turkey)
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup uncooked white rice
- 3 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian Style stewed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds.
- In large bowl, combine filling ingredients, mixing lightly, but thoroughly.
- Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pepper and place in 8x8 inch square baking dish. Combine sauce ingredients & pour over peppers. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 30 minutes.
This recipe also freezes really well. Make now and enjoy later!