Baked pumpkin donuts are soft, cakey, & full of warm spices. These homemade donuts are the perfect breakfast treat! Enjoy them plain or topped with cinnamon sugar with morning coffee or as a mid-day fall snack!
Soft baked pumpkin donuts
When getting ready for fall breakfast, no need to run to get pumpkin donuts at Dunkin Donuts! Nope, you can make baked donuts from scratch right at home and enjoy them whenever you want!
I was always afraid to try making donuts at home because they always looked hard, but once I made my apple cider donuts, I realized how easy it really is! All you need are a few kitchen tools and soon you'll be making donuts every weekend!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Donuts
Start out with these ingredients and follow some of my helpful tips below.
- Canned pumpkin– make sure this is 100% pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix.
- Vegetable oil– you can use canola oil as a substitute.
- Large eggs
- Sugar– granulated sugar for the donut mixture and for the topping.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice– You can get this at the store or you can make your own with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground ginger.
- Salt– I always use Kosher salt
- Baking Powder
- Flour- I always use King Arthur all-purpose flour because I think it creates a soft crumb to baked goods.
- Butter– You can use salted or unsalted butter
- Cinnamon– ground cinnamon for topping.
Tools to make easy pumpkin donuts
Having the right tools to make these delicious breakfast treats makes it so easy! In less than 20 minutes, you can have fresh warm pumpkin spice donuts right out of the oven!
- Start with a non-stick donut pan. I have one by Wilton and another by Norpro.
- Silicone Pastry Brush– to brush a light coating of vegetable oil in the pan.
- Cooling rack– to cool your baked donuts before frosting or adding sugar coating.
- Piping bags – to pipe batter into pans. You can use a spoon, but piping is a lot faster and less messy.
TIP: If you do not have piping bags, you can use a large ziplock bag to fill the donut wells easily. Put batter into the bag and cut off a corner before filling batter.
How to make pumpkin spice donuts
First, you will want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
While your oven is preheating, get all your baking supplies together because this part will go quick!
In a mixing bowl,prep the flour, salt, and baking powder, and mix dry ingredients together.
In a separate bowl, stir together wet ingredients. This will be your oil, eggs, pumpkin.
Add in the granulated sugar and pumpkin spice. Stir together with a fork or whisk until smooth.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
Brush oil in donut pan wells.
With a spoon or piping bag, fill donut pan wells 3/4 full. Bake donuts for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from oven and place on wire cooling rack.
To make the sugar topping:
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a wide bowl in microwave.
- In separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon.
After five minutes of cooling, loosen the edges of donuts and transfer them to the rack.
While still warm, dip donut half way into butter then into cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat with all donuts.
These donuts are so, so good and never last very long in our kitchen!
How long can baked donuts last?
Like I said, these don't last very long in our house, but if there are some leftover, baked donuts can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.
Can I coat the whole donut in cinnamon sugar?
Absolutely! If you want to go all out with the toppings, melt a whole stick of butter and increase sugar to 1 cup and cinnamon to 2 Tablespoons. It's easier to put the cinnamon sugar in a large ziplock bag. Dip your baked donut in the melted butter, flip and dip other side, then place pumpkin donut in the bag and shake.
Can I use a glaze topping for pumpkin donuts?
Yes! You can eat these donuts any way you like! Try some of these suggestions
- Topped with powdered sugar
- Melted vanilla frosting (microwave for 30 seconds and drizzle over the top!)
- Caramel apple glaze would be awesome! Try this recipe for caramel apple donut holes and use the glaze for pumpkin donuts!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 15oz. can 100% pure pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush donut pans with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, eggs, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice and stir until smooth.
- In a sparate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Fill wells of donut pan 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake donuts for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on rack for 1-2 minutes.
- Loosen edges of donuts from pan and place donuts on cooling rack.
- If you want to top with cinnamon sugar: Melt 1/2 stick butter in a medium bowl in microwave. In separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon.
- While donuts are still warm, dip half of donut in to melted butter and then dip into cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dunkin' Mixed Flavor Coffee Variety Pack, 60 K Cups for Keurig Coffee Makers (Packaging May Vary)
24 Pcs Bulk Assorted Artificial Orange White Pumpkins 250 Pcs Fall Artificial Maple Leaves Fall Wedding Party Table Fireplace Decor Wreath Craft Harvest Halloween Pumpkins Thanksgiving Centerpieces
Wilton Non-Stick 6-Cavity Donut Baking Pans, 2-Count
Halloween Cookie Cutters, 7 Piece - Spider, Candy, Pumpkin, Bat, Ghost, Cat and Witch Hat Shapes for Halloween Party Treat, Decoration
Adjustable Bib Apron with Pockets - Extra Long Ties, Commercial Grade, Unisex - Black/White Pinstripe (33 x 27 Inches) - Homwe
Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g