So, so much to share with you, but for now, since we plan on visiting a local apple orchard, I thought it would be fun to share one of our favorite fall recipes.
Traveling the last two weeks brought me to NYC to attend The Social Good Summit and last weekend I was in lovely Atlanta, GA to attend the Type-A Conference as part of the photography team. This weekend is set aside to spend time with our oldest who is home from college, and I’m sure he would love to have some apple pie.
This really is the best apple pie recipe…once you make it, you will keep it safe in your recipe folder, I guarantee it. You might also like to check out my post that has this recipe as well as a recipe for apple crisp and some great kitchen tips.
This Heavy Duty Apple Peeler, Slicer & Corer can make your recipe prep a lot easier!
The Best Apple Pie Recipe
- 6 cups sliced apples about 6 medium-large** I like to bake with Macintosh, Cortland, and Granny Smith combination.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place in separate bowl.
- Pour flour mixture on top of apples and gently stir to fully incorporate. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare 2 pie crusts for 9" pie plate or use store pie crust (available in dairy section).
- Place 1 prepared crust in pie plate.
- Cut 1 Tablespoon Butter into 1/4 and place in bottom of pie crust (along edge).
- Top with apple filling mixture.
- Cut remaining Tablespoon butter into 1/4 and dot top of apple mixture with butter pieces.
- Top filling with second pie crust.
- Trim extra dough along edge.
- Pinch both crusts together to seal. Make 4 small cuts on top of crust to vent.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.
If you love everything apples, I also have a great recipe up for Apple Cider Doughnuts! They. Are. YUMMY!
Enjoy your weekend and get ready for Monday…cause we are going to hit the ground running!
P.S. I’m curious – Do you use a pie crust shield when baking pies? Leave a comment and let me know!