Baked chocolate donuts with chocolate glaze are easy to make. Full of rich chocolate flavor these cakey donuts are great for breakfast or dessert.
Chocolate for breakfast should never be frowned upon, so for a special breakfast treat, I decided to bake a batch of these cakey chocolate donuts to have with morning coffee. They did not disappoint!
Tools to Help you Make Baked Donuts
To make homemade baked donuts from scratch you need a few items to make it super easy. These items can be found at your local kitchenware store, or online.
- Donut pan– This type of baking pan is essential to make any baked donut recipe. They come in two sizes small donut pan and large donut pan. I have both but prefer the smaller one because donuts tend to bake more evenly.
- Piping Bags– This is just for true convenience. I've filled donut pan wells with a spoon for years, however, using a piping bag is less messy, makes even portions, and is just easier! If you don't have piping bags, you can use a Ziplock bag.
- Offest Spatula– I use this tool for so many things when it comes to cooking and baking. Using this to gently remove donuts from the pan works so well!
Baked Chocolate Donuts
I love a good donut with a hot cup of coffee, but I don't particularly like how they make me feel after eating one! The reason is because many donuts are fried and not the healthiest thing to have for breakfast.
Baked donuts have a more cake-like consistency and even if topped with a sugary glaze, still have fewer calories than the fried version. I'll take a homemade baked donut from scratch any day!
Ingredients for Chocolate Frosted Donuts
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Half and half
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Milk, as needed
How to Bake Chocolate Cake Donuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease small donut pan.
In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, & baking soda
In a large mixing bowl, combine half & half, sour cream, vanilla, egg, and oil, mixing well.
Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until smooth.
Spoon batter into a piping bag and snip end of bag.
Pipe donut batter into prepared pan, or fill wells using a spoon. Be sure to only fill wells 2/3 full.
Bake 8-10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from pan and placed on cooling rack.
Dip warm donuts into chocolate glaze and allow to cool completely.
What is the best flour for donuts?
The best flour for baked donuts is all-purpose flour. These tasty treats do not require yeast or bread flour.
How to store baked donuts
If you have any left, you can store baked donuts in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 1/2 + 1/2
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbps vegetable oil
- Chocolate Glaze
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a small donut pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, & baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, combine half & half, sour cream, vanilla, egg, and oil, mixing well.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Spoon batter into a piping bag and snip end of the bag.
- Pipe donut batter into prepared pan or fill wells using a spoon. Be sure to only fill wells 2/3 full.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from pan and place on a cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HERSHEY'S Natural Unsweetened 100% Cocoa Cocoa, Easter Baking Supplies, 8 oz Can (6 Count)
Wilton 12-Inch Disposable Cake Decorating and Pastry Bags, 100-Count
Ateco 1385 Offset Spatula with 4.5-Inch Stainless Steel Blade, Wood Handle, 4.5 Inch, natural
Godinger Dublin Cake Plate Cake Stand,12 inches
Wilton Non-Stick 6-Cavity Donut Baking Pans, 2-Count
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g