Coffee chocolate brownies bring together rich coffee and chocolate topped on a sugar cookie crust to make the best brownie you will ever eat! These homemade brownies are full of rich flavor and chunks of bittersweet chocolate and are so delicious with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee!
I need something chocolate. Let's be perfectly clear, it’s not a want; it’s a need.
Ever have one of those days? Oh, good! I was hoping it wasn't just me!
After browsing through my recipe book, I came across my three favorite flavors; chocolate, coffee & sugar cookies. Could my favorite flavors really be mixed into one glorious recipe? Oh, yes. Yes, they can. And if I really want to live on the edge, I will savor each morsel while drinking my morning coffee. Double bonus!
Coffee Brownies With Box Mix
I love to bake many things from scratch but there are a few things where I prefer using my favorite box mix. One of those things is brownies. The perks of using a mix?
- Time saver- mix and bake. Simple.
- You can choose between fudgy and cake-like texture, something hard to do with a recipe from scratch.
- Your brownie will always be consistent- consistently good!
The Best Coffee Chocolate Brownies You Will Ever Eat!
These really are the best brownies you will ever eat! You can have your craving satisfied in one single bite.
Oh, wait, it’s my craving we are trying to curb, isn’t it. Well, once you see what these look like, you will have the craving too, I guarantee it.
A few tips to help with this recipe:
- When you make your morning coffee, set aside a small amount (1/3 cup) to cool. Then fill up your mug to start your day.
- Not a brewed coffee fan? No worries. Keep a small jar of instant coffee on hand. I really like to use the Starbucks instant coffee packets– they are small and travel well too.
- On your next trip to the store, grab an extra brownie mix and roll of sugar cookie dough because it never hurts to have these on hand for a quick treat!
How to Add Coffee to Brownies
A little fun fact I learned from years of baking is that coffee is a flavor enhancer when chocolate is involved. If you want to bring out the rich, deep flavor of cocoa, add a little bit of brewed strong coffee.
It doesn’t take a lot- anywhere from a ¼ cup to no more than 1 cup of java will bring your cakes, muffins, and brownies to a whole new level of goodness.
Start by setting aside a small amount of brewed coffee.
What You Will Need For Coffee Chocolate Brownies
How to make Soft Coffee Brownies
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. This is pretty much standard for any baked goods.
Next, press sugar cookie dough into an ungreased bottom of 13x9x2 pan (jelly roll pan) and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine dry brownie mix, eggs, oil and cooled coffee and stir until just combined.
Pour brownie batter over cookie dough, spreading evenly to edges.
Sprinkle with chocolate chunk pieces.
Bake until edges are set and get ready for some awesome flavor!
Cool in pan on wire rack.
Can You Bake with Coffee Grounds?
I see this question often and thought I would try to address it here since this recipe calls for coffee.
If you are making baked goods using coffee, it is preferred to use brewed or dissolved coffee in your recipe. Coffee grounds are course and in their raw form will be a bit bitter and rather crunchy.
Since we are trying to draw out the flavor profiles of the chocolate, brewed coffee is better.
Keep your brewed coffee grounds for use in soaps (they make a great exfoliant!) or to spread in your garden for those acid-loving plants (like hydrangeas).
If you make these delicious Coffee Chocolate Brownies, please share on Pinterest or Facebook!
Tag us on Instagram too with @eatpicks and #eatpicks
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
When you make these, and I know you will, you’ll find they are perfect for the holidays and are quick and easy enough to make for treats on a cookie tray or last-minute bake sales.
- 1 16 oz. roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 box, 19.5 oz. milk chocolate brownie mix
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup strong coffee, brewed and cooled
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press sugar cookie dough into ungreased bottom of 13x9x2 pan (jelly roll pan). Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine dry brownie mix, eggs, oil and cooled coffee and stir until just combined.
- Pour brownie batter over cookie dough, spreading evenly to edges.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chunk pieces.
- Bake 40 minutes or until edges are set.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into bars when cool.
- Store bars in airtight container for up to 1 week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownies 18.3oz Family Size - 2 Boxes
Peets Coffee, Major Dickason's Blend, Whole Bean 32oz (Pack of2)
Ebuns French Rolling Pin for Baking Pizza Dough, Pie & Cookie - Essential Kitchen utensil tools gift ideas for bakers (French Pins 18" inches)
Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
Pyrex 4.8-qt Oblong Baking Dish with Red Lid
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 8g
Original Post: 11/11/14