Winter is the time when cups of hot cocoa make their debut and what better way to enjoy a mug than with these marshmallow reindeer stirrers! They are a super easy and fun holiday craft to do with the kids and make a great homemade gift too!
If you are stuck with a snow day, this Christmas craft is perfect to keep the kiddos occupied! Marshmallows are fantastic craft builders and are delicious in hot chocolate.
I love making marshmallow crafts, not only because they taste great, but are super cute too! Have you tried our Snowman Marshmallow Craft? I like giving them as little gifts or have on hand for stocking stuffers!
Marshmallow Reindeer Bodies
- You need a bag of marshmallows
- Colored chocolate (melted)
- Barbecue Skewers or long cocktail sticks
How to Make DIY Marshmallow Reindeer Stirrers
Because these stir sticks are handmade, I think they tend to taste all that much better and I think you will too!
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- With kitchen shears, trim the sharp end of the skewer or toothpick. This will keep little fingers safe!
- Don't have chocolate wafers to melt? Use mini chocolate chips for antlers and eyes!
- Instead of using pastry piping bags, you can use plastic sandwich bags with just the corner snipped off for easy piping!
Easy Holiday Marshmallow Reindeer Craft
First, get your cookie sheet with waxed paper ready. Set this aside for assembled reindeer marshmallows.
Next, you will trim the skewers with kitchen scissors so the sharp end is not poking through the bottom.
Now, grab your favorite bag of marshmallows and count out 30 of them because you'll need 3 per stick.
Stick a skewer through all three marshmallows. Do you notice the sharp tip? You could trim it at this point too and help the kids pull stick up just a smidge so it's not sticking out the bottom.
You can help with this part! Melt candy melts or chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments until melted. This is the same method we use when we make our super easy Homemade Thin Mint Cookies!
Remove from Microwave oven and place melted chocolate in your piping bag or sandwich baggie.
Now, pipe your chocolate to make antlers on the top marshmallow and two eyes on the middle section.
Pipe on a red nose, or use a small red hot dot!
Add your chocolate scarves and set on the lined cookie sheet to dry!
Can you give these Reindeer Marshmallows as Gifts?
YES! Put your reindeer stir sticks in a clear gift bag and hand out to classroom friends, teachers or leave for old St. Nick on the cookie plate!
Pair with a container of hot chocolate and this makes a wonderful hostess gift too.
Most of these crafts show pretzels for antlers, which is cute, but I love that these are covered in chocolate. Easy melting into hot cocoa instead of floating pretzel pieces!
You could combine these with our Snowman Marshmallow Craft Sticks too! What a treat!!
These cute and inexpensive treats will also look good on any holiday cookie tray! Try these recipes on our site:
If you loved building these marshmallow reindeer crafts, please share on Pinterest and Facebook!
If you make them and share on Instagram, be sure to tag us with @eatpicks and #eatpicks
We would love to see them!
- 30 large marshmallows
- 12 oz package of Wilton chocolate candy melts
- 12 oz package of Wilton red candy melts
- #1 or #2 Wilton round frosting tips
- (2) Disposable piping bags
- 10 BBQ skewers
- Kitchen scissors
- Wilton red, blue and green icing pouches
- Trim the BBQ skewers by a few inches using the kitchen scissors.
- Skewer (3) large marshmallows onto the base of each skewer.
- Pour 6 oz of the Wilton chocolate candy melts into a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Attach one frosting tip to a disposable piping bag and scoop the melted chocolate into the bag.
- Gently squeeze the chocolate from the bag giving the reindeer 2 eyes and 2 antlers.
- Repeat with all reindeer.
- Add a small handful of red candy melts to a microwave-safe dish and heat in 30-second increments, stirring until melted.
- Remove from the microwave and let cool a few minutes.
- Attach the 2nd frosting tip and scoop the melted red chocolate into the disposable piping bag.
- Gently squeeze the red chocolate from the bag to form the reindeer's nose.
- Repeat with each reindeer and allow the chocolate to set.
- Once the chocolate has set give each reindeer a scarf using the Wilton colored icing (no special tip needed).
- Serve with hot cocoa or wrap in a cute holiday baggy and give as a gift with hot cocoa!
Makes 10 Reindeer Stirrers
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coffee Mug Set Set of 6 Large-sized 14 Ounce Christmas Theme Ceramic Coffee Mugs Restaurant Coffee Mugs By Bruntmor
HOPELF 6" Natural Bamboo Skewers for BBQ，Appetiser，Fruit，Cocktail，Kabob，Chocolate Fountain，Grilling，Barbecue，Kitchen，Crafting and Party. Φ=4mm, More Size Choices 8"/10"/12"/14"/16"/30"(100 PCS)
Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows (Pack of 2)
Wilton 2104-1249 Decorating Tools, 12" 100 count
Worldeco Christmas Handmade Gift Cute Snowman Animated Plush Knit Doll Collectible Figurine Xmas Bedroom Home Decorations Holiday Presents 20 inch
Wilton 12 oz. Light Cocoa Candy Melts Candy, 6-Count
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 836Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1730mgCarbohydrates: 123gFiber: 4gSugar: 94gProtein: 36g