Thin crispy sugar cookies are just perfect for making cutout cookies for holidays or special occasions. Paper-thin sugar cookies are an Amish favorite and delicious treat to add to any dessert tray.
Paper Thin Sugar Cookies
These paper thin crispy sugar cookies are perfect for making cut out cookies.
I love making my Nana's Sand Tarts cookies during the holidays and this recipe is perfect for making fun treats for birthdays or special occasions year-round like heart-shaped cookies.
A little bit of buttery cookie dough goes a long way!
Tools to make crispy sugar cookies
These are some of my favorite baking tools to have on hand to make it easier when making these cookies.
- A good set of cookie-cutter shapes– I personally like to use Anne Clark metal cookie cutters. They are a family run a small business in Vermont and have every shape cutter you can think of, and then some! You can also use sturdy Wilton cutters too, like this heart-shaped one.
- A good rolling pin– I prefer a solid pin vs a french pin for this. A French rolling pin is tapered at the ends making it a bit more difficult to get the dough super thin.
- Parchment Paper a parchment-lined baking sheet is my favorite method of baking. Even baking and easy cleanup.
- Pastry Brush– For thin crispy sugar cookies, you will need to brush an egg wash on top. This is what helps to make them crunchy!
How to make thin crisp sugar cookies
- Mix sugar and softened butter in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add your eggs & flour and mix to incorporate completely.
- Wrap dough ball in saran wrap and chill for 1 hour (makes it easier to roll).
The secret to these crispy sugar cookies is to roll them very thin.
Begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees.
To Bake, remove chilled dough from refrigerator and work with soft ball sized dough pieces.
Flour work space or counter with a generous dusting of flour and roll dough to a thin 1/4-inch slab.
How to get crispy cookies
The secret to crispy sugar cookies is to roll your cookie dough as thin as possible. I'm talking paper thin- like you can see the counter through the dough- and still be able to pick up and transfer to the baking sheet.
How do you keep sugar cookies crispy?
You can store cookies in an airtight container and keep them on your counter for up to a week. Be sure cookies are cooled completely before placing them in the container.
The old fashioned way to keep cookies crispy is to place them in a brown paper bag!
I love these crispy cookies and they are perfect for any special occasion!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
- 3 3/4 cups confectioner sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 lb. butter, softened
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs & flour to butter mixture until soft dough ball forms.
- Wrap dough in saran wrap and chill for 1 hour (makes it easier to roll).
- Remove dough from fridge and place on a floured surface.
- Roll out a softball-size piece of dough with a rolling pin until very thin- 1/4-inch.
- Cut with favorite cookie cutter shape.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Brush tops of cookies lightly with egg wash and decorate with colored sugar sprinkles.
- Bake 6-8 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
D'Lifeful Cookie Jar with Airtight Seal and Bamboo Lid - Jars for Candy Storage, Farmhouse Kitchen Canister, Metal Tins for Cookies, Accessories for Kitchens - Vintage Containers with Lids for Food
Betty Crocker 82310 101 Cookie Cutters, Assorted
Valentines Garden Flag, Buffalo Plaid Love Heart Arrow Yard Flag, Double Sided Burlap Flag, Valentines Day Garden Banner for Outdoor/Yard/Farmhouse/Home/Wedding/Anniversary Decor, 12.5x18 Inch
2 PCS Valentines Day Gnome Plush - Mr and Mrs Scandinavian Tomte Elf Decorations - Stuffed Plushie Ornaments - Swedish Tomte Dwarf Figurines Table Gnomes Decor Gifts Presents
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g