Clementine Pound Cake is full of sweet clementines and topped with a clementine cake glaze offering a deliciously light, sweet pound cake to enjoy as a dessert or breakfast treat. A perfect cake to enjoy when this fruit is in season.
The Best Clementine Pound Cake Recipe Everyone Should Know How to Make
There are certain moments in time when the baking gods are on your side and what you envision in your head actually comes out the way you thought it would and then there are times when it comes out so much better than you ever expected.
This is the delicious outcome of the recipe for Clementine Pound Cake.
When nearing the end of the clementine season, it was so exciting that my last trip to the market yielded the sweetest bunch yet! Not wanting them to go to waste, I thought of different recipes I could try such as cookies, muffins, or maybe scones?
Then the light bulb moment came, how about a pound cake?
We could enjoy with morning coffee AND enjoy it as a dessert.
A few things you should know before we get started:
Tips You Should Know to Make this Clementine Pound Cake
Tip 1: Be careful zesting this fruit.
- Unlike lemons, limes and bigger cousin orange, clementines do not have the white pith separating the fruit from the skin to let you know when to stop your Microplane .
- Clementines have orange all the way through the skin, so when you zest, be sure to do so with a light hand.
Tip 2: Do not over bake your clementine pound cake.
- When recipe testing, we found the initial baking of 30 minutes was definitely NOT long enough. The center of cake cracked, but remained very “jiggly.” The ideal baking time was revealed to be 45-55 minutes.
- If your cake is still testing not done by the desired time, because we all know every oven is different, then continue to bake in 5-minute increments until a toothpick tests clean.
Clementine Cake Glaze
Clementine cake glaze is the cherry on top of this tasty cake. It is surprisingly light and creates a thin crisp coating that is absolutely delicious!
Tools to make Cake Glaze
Every kitchen should have tools to make cooking & baking easier! We have a list of our 100 favorite kitchen gadgets which also includes the following!
Ingredients for Clementine Cake Glaze:
- 1/4 cup clementine juice (about 2 fruit)
- 1/2 cup sugar
Put Citrus Into Your Baking
If you want to add a burst of flavor to your cooking many cooks are known to squeeze a little bit of lemon over their finished dish.
Putting a little pizazz in your baked goods has the same tasty results!
I'm sure adding just a tiny bit of lemon zest would perk up a cherry dump cake recipe too!
Here is our wonderful recipe for Clementine Pound Cake. I hope you try it and come back and let us know how you liked it! A printable recipe is below!
- 6-7 clementine oranges
- ½ cup butter, 1 stick, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ c flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/3 c juice of clementine
- Zest 6 clementine
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch kosher salt
- ¼ cup clementine juice, about 2 fruit
- ½ c sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl, zest skin of 6 clementine fruit. Set aside.
- In small measuring cup, juice the zested fruit to measure 1/3 cup. (about 4 fruit)
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Prepare loaf pan by greasing lightly with butter.
- In mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture to mixer bowl, then half juice. Alternate until all flour and juice have been added.
- Add vanilla and zest and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth out top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until cake tester comes clean from center of loaf. If still liquidy, bake in 5 minute increments until golden brown and tester is clean.
- While cake is baking, make the glaze.
- In bowl combine sugar and juice of 2 clementine and set aside.
- Place a sheet of wax paper underneath a cooling rack.
- Remove cake and let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on cooling rack.
- With wooden skewer, poke holes in top of warm cake.
- Pour glaze slowly over top so it can soak in.
- Let cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 145mg Carbohydrates: 56g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 40g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
Original Post 3/27/19