This super easy egg drop soup recipe is quick & delicious! After tasting the rich broth and whispy egg, you'll want this soup all the time and better yet? It's ready in 5 minutes!
Soup is probably one of my favorite foods. When the crisp fall air arrives right through to chilly spring, a cup or bowl of soup seems to just hit the spot perfectly every time.
Sometimes, a really quick soup is just what is needed and if it can be homemade, that's even better!
Egg and Broth Make a Tasty Soup
With just a few ingredients, you can have one of your favorite restaurant take-out dishes right in your own kitchen. It only takes a mere 5 minutes to put this together making it perfect for lunch or cozy dinner.
I like to make this egg drop soup recipe without cornstarch making it a thinner version of the original. It is totally a taste preference thing, so if you enjoy a thicker version, then cornstarch or flour can be added to the boiling broth.
What else will you need?
- Your favorite chicken broth/stock or for added nutrients, try chicken bone broth.
- Saucepot, whisk, and a ladle.
- A wooden spoon
SUPER Easy & Delicious Egg Drop Soup Recipe
This egg-infused soup, also known as Egg Flower Soup, is full of rich chicken stock and creamy wispy eggs. It is full of protein and if made in this manner, very keto-friendly.
- Make sure you whisk your egg well so it is creamy.
- When the broth is at a rolling boil, start stirring in a circular motion, creating a swirl. Be careful as the liquid will be hot!
- Slowly pour the whisked egg into the broth while continually stirring. You want to create egg “threads.”
- Remove from heat once the entire egg is stirred into the soup.
Egg Drop Soup Ingredients
What makes this a super easy egg drop soup recipe so good? The simple ingredient list.
All you need:
- Chicken broth
- Green onion
Yep. That's it.
What Do You Eat With Egg Drop Soup?
I love to serve this just as is in a big bowl. But if you wanted to serve with something more, here are a few ideas:
- A green salad or maybe try our sirloin steak & pasta salad.
- Make a fried rice dish or chili lime chicken thighs
- A simple roll or crusty piece of your favorite bread will do too.
What Makes Egg Drop Soup Thick?
To make egg drop soup thicker as you would get in a restaurant, you will want to add a bit of cornstarch to the broth. When added, be sure to stir until the cornstarch dissolves completely.
As the liquid turns from cloudy to clear, you can then add your whisked eggs at this point.
Does Egg Drop Soup Have Raw Egg?
Yes, you are adding raw egg to this soup, but it cooks very quickly due to the boiling liquid and stirring action. In fact, it cooks faster than a fried egg!
We are having some fun with our foodie friends and are sharing some other delicious soup recipes below. I can't wait to make these recipes in my own kitchen! You can follow the hashtag #HousefulofSoup on social to see all the yumminess.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, whisked well
- 1 green onion, sliced for garnish
- Pour chicken broth in a medium saucepot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Crack eggs into a bowl, and whisk until creamy.
- Slice up a green onion for garnish.
- When broth is boiling, slowly drizzle egg into the liquid, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and sprinkle with green onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Set of 3 Multi-Color Silicone whisks with stainless steel handles. Milk & Egg Beater Balloon Metal Whisk for Blending, Whisking, Beating and Stirring. (Multi Color)
- Eslite Large Soup Spoons/Stainless Steel Bouillion Spoons,12-Piece,7.7 Inches
- Chinese New Year Red Rat Ornament Decorations Year of The Mouse Festival Decoration Good Luck Plush Red Mascot Mouse Stuffed Animal Table Shelf Decor
- Cuisinart 755-26GD Chef's Classic Stainless 5-1/2-Quart Multi-Purpose Pot with Glass Cover
- Zulay Premium 12 Inch Stainless Steel Ladle with Long Handle and Ample Bowl Capacity Perfect for Stirring, Serving Soups Heavy-Duty Metal Ladle
- Porcelain Serving Bowls for Cereal, Pasta,Soup, 21-Ounce, Set of 6 Assorted Colors
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
Here are our other friends sharing their favorite soup recipes. Let us know if you try one!
- Neckbone Stew – Houseful of Nicholes
- Sweet Potato + Black Eyed Peas Stew – This Worthey Life
- Easy Creamy Tomato Soup – Big Crazy Life
- Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Stew – Ashley & Company
- Sweet Potato Carrot Soup – Someday I'll Learn
- Corn Chowder Soup – Day By Day In Our World
- Super Simple Cauliflower Soup – Good Girl Gone Redneck
- 20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – Life of A Ginger
- Creamy Bechnut Squash Soup – 100 Directions
- Pasta e Fagioli – More Than Thursdays
- Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Mama Harris' Kitchen
- Jonah's Float A Seafood Soup – food:life:love
- Instant Pot Chili – SimplifyLiveLove
- Easy Gumbo Recipe – Divas With A Purpose
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup – My Crafty Life
- Haitian Soup Joumou – AnointedHeels