The Best Ham Green Beans and Potatoes recipe starts with simple ingredients. Place all of these things in a pot, cook on the stove and you have yourself a delicious traditional PA Dutch meal ready in no time!
This was a dish that I had frequently while sharing a meal with my NaNa and PapPap. My father has kept up the tradition and makes this delicious ham recipe from time to time.
When I walk through his door and smell it cooking, I am immediately transported to the small dining room in my grandparent's house.
The simplicity is what makes it so good.
Ham Green Beans and Potatoes Soup
When eating this dish, it will be more like eating a soup rather than a stew or chowder. It has a lot of ham-infused flavored broth and is a taste you want to keep eating! If you are looking for more of a casserole, our scalloped potatoes and ham recipe is one to try!
Make sure you have
- A large stockpot or Le Creuset Dutch Oven to cover the ingredients completely.
- Some Favorite Kitchen Tools include a ladle, colander, and potato peeler.
- A good Chef Knife or Paring knife will help too with cutting & dicing. I like using my Wusthof Santoku because the divots in the blade help to have sticky vegetables (like potatoes) fall off when cutting. This paring knife is awesome too.
—- There is a printable recipe below this one. Plus a bonus recipe for ham leftovers! —-
The Best Ham Green Beans & Potatoes Recipe
The reason this recipe is so good is due to how incredibly simple it is to make. You are basically making a one-pot meal on the stove.
The aroma will fill your home making it smell warm and inviting and your family will most definitely go for seconds.
Key ingredients to have on hand to make this recipe taste amazing:
- Smoke Ham (no bone) Dad says THE best ham to use is Cumberland Gap. A close second is Hormel Cure 81.
- Fresh Green Beans, cleaned and snipped or 2 bags of already cleaned beans (usually can find with carrots, lettuce)
How to Make Ham Green Beans & Potatoes
Place ham in a stockpot and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil.
Turn heat down to a simmer and cover with a lid.
Cook for 2 hours 30 minutes.
Next, you will want to peel and quarter potatoes and add to the pot along with green beans.
Cover and simmer for 1 more hour. Your ham will be so fork-tender after cooking all day and will just break apart.
Serve a few pieces with beans and potatoes with a little broth.
That's it, SO EASY!
Can You Freeze Ham & Green Beans?
You can freeze this meal with one exception: leave out the potatoes. Potatoes do not freeze very well. If you want to freeze this for later, take out the cooked potatoes before placing leftovers in the freezer.
When defrosting and reheating, simply prepare potatoes by peeling and dicing and adding to the broth until cooked through.
What can I serve with Ham & Green Beans?
This dish in all its simplicity needs nothing more than a bowl, spoon and a piece of good bread to dip in the broth.
PA Dutch Ham & Green Beans
This is a traditional PA Dutch recipe through and through. When searching for these types of recipes, you will often find that simplicity is key to everything, from main course, soups or desserts.
These recipes have survived through many generations so you know they are good!
Bonus Recipe for leftovers!
Ham BBQ “Cottage” Style Recipe
Shred leftover ham.
Heat on stove until hot.
Enjoy as a yummy sandwich!
If you like this tasty recipe, here are some others we think you will enjoy too!
- 3 lb Smoke Ham, no bone. Suggested ham to use is Cumberland Gap or Hormel Cure 81.
- 2 lb Fresh Green Beans, cleaned and snipped or 2 bags of already cleaned beans
- 4-5 potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
- Place ham in stock pot and cover completely with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer and cover with lid.
- Cook for 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Add to pot along with green beans.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Break ham apart and serve a few pieces with beans and potatoes with a little broth.
Bonus Recipe for leftovers!
- Ham BBQ "Cottage" Style Recipe
- Shred leftover ham.
- 3 Tbsp sweet pickle relish,
- 1/2 C ketchup,
- 1/4 C water
- small squirt of mustard
- Heat on stove until hot.
- Enjoy a yummy sandwich!
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1952mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 48g
Original Post: 1/7/17