Chocolatey s' mores bars recipe is full of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows baked on top of a sugar cookie crust. A super easy smores bar recipe dessert you can enjoy indoors and still feel like you are eating a traditional camping treat!
When someone mentions the words camping, two things come to mind; telling stories around a campfire and eating everyone's favorite dessert: chocolatey gooey s’ mores bars.
There is something about finding the perfect branch, whittled down to fit a marshmallow or two, slowly twirling them above the flames to get a crispy golden brown, then carefully squishing the toasted goodness between graham crackers and chocolate.
Making S'mores at home
When the evenings are cool enough for a fire in the chiminea, the kids are quick to ask “Do we have S’mores stuff?” I think flavors of chocolate, toasted marshmallow, and graham crackers bring out the kid in everyone, don't you agree?
Two options for making this camping dessert at home are around the patio firepit or in the oven.
- Patio Firepit: This is probably the closest you can get to camping while at home. There are so many options on the market now, but I love all the options Serenity Health & Home provides. They have every style and variety of firepit both wood-burning and gas, and any accessory you could need. So grab that bag of marshmallows and sticks and get creating!
- Home Oven: When summer is here, it's nice to take a break from the heat and humidity and bring the camping fun indoors! Set up a tent in any room and bake this treat to enjoy. S'mores bars have all the same gooey goodness as the outdoor version but in the shape of a cookie bar!
Related recipes: Cast Iron skillet Cookie, Monster Chocolate Chip Cookies, Classic Sugar Cookies, Snowman Marshmallow Craft, Marshmallow Reindeer DIY Stir Sticks
Gooey S'mores Bars Ingredients
We're going to use the baked version of this easy s'mores bars recipe because they really are easy & quick.
- Chocolate: Bars of chocolate are preferred when making oven smores bars, but substituting semi-sweet morsels work great too! In fact, that's all I had in my pantry!
- Graham Crackers: Also, to save time putting this together, I used a box of graham cracker crumbs (usually found with the pie-making section) instead of crushing up the crackers.
- Sugar Cookie Mix: My favorite pouch of sugar cookie mix is Betty Crocker, which you can find in most baking sections.
- Marshmallows: Because these s' mores bars bake in the oven, I like to use miniature marshmallows. They came out gooey and delicious and also get that toasty brown color too.
- Butter: Salted butter is my preference because it will enhance the chocolate and bring out the sweetness of the cookie dough. You can certainly use unsalted if you prefer.
Chocolatey smores bars recipe Instructions
Preheat: your oven to 375 degrees.
Prepare crust: In a large mixing bowl, mix together pouch of sugar cookie mix and graham cracker crumbs. Add melted butter and stir until dough comes together.
Make the crust: Press prepared dough into a 13×9 inch pan lined with parchment paper. (This will make it easy to remove from pan)
Bake: cookie-graham cracker dough 15-18 minutes or until crust is set.
Add chocolate: Pour chocolate chips on top of warm cookie crust. Let sit for a few minutes to melt, and then spread carefully over crust.
Set oven to top broil.
Pour marshmallows: over the melted chocolate. Place pan 5-6 inches below the broiler and cook until marshmallows begin to toast. I actually prefer to use a small culinary torch, like this one. It's so much easier than watching it under the broiler!
Keep a close eye on the marshmallows as they cook very quickly! This should only take about 15 seconds. Cool for 5 minutes.
Remove smores bars from pan and cool 5 more minutes.
Cut into bars and serve warm.
Just like the firepit version, this s'mores bar recipe with graham crackers can handle really fun add-in toppings! Try these next time you make them:
- Bacon: Who doesn't love bacon?! Sprinkle crumbled cooked bacon on top of the toasted marshmallow topping before serving. Yum!
- Peanut Butter: You can put a schmear of peanut butter on cooked cookie crust before adding the chocolate.
- Peanut Butter chips: or, mix in peanut butter morsels with your semi-sweet morsels, for an added flavor bonus!
- Flavored marshmallows: try using flavored marshmallows, like chocolate, toasted coconut, or fruity flavored. What a fun twist to your s'mores bars recipe!
What you can serve before smores bars dessert
It would be awesome if we could always eat dessert before dinner, but why miss such a tasty meal? Here are some easy recipes to enjoy while you're having fun camping indoors or anytime, really!
We love making this chocolatey gooey smores bars recipe all year long!
Chocolatey Gooey S’Mores Bars
Chocolatey gooey s' mores bars are full of chocolate, marshmallow, and graham crackers on top of a sugar cookie crust. This dessert is easy to bake so you can enjoy this traditional camping treat all year long!
- 1 envelope pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz.) sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together pouch of cookie mix and graham cracker crumbs. Add melted butter and stir until dough comes together.
- Press dough into a 13x9 inch pan, lined with parchment paper. (This will make it easy to remove from pan)
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until crust is set.
- Pour chocolate chips on top of warm cookie crust. Let sit for a few minutes to melt, and then spread carefully over crust.
- Set oven to top broil.
- Pour marshmallows over the melted chocolate. Place pan 5-6 inches below broiler and cook until marshmallows begin to toast.
- Keep a close eye on the marshmallows as they cook very quickly! This should only take about 15 seconds.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool 5 more minutes.
- Cut into bars and serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coleman 4-Person Dome Tent for Camping | Sundome Tent with Easy Setup
Hershey's Milk Chocolate Candy Bars, Bulk Candy, 1.55-Oz. Bars, 36 Count
Marshmallow Roasting Sticks 10 Pack Extra Long 45’’ Stainless Telescoping Hot Dog Smores Skewers Kids Safe Barbecue Forks for Campfire, Bonfire and Grill
Jet Puffed Miniature Marshmallows - 16 Ounces
Honey Maid Honey Graham Crackers, 14.4 oz
Enjoy Life Foods Semi Sweet Mega-Chunks Chocolate, 10 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g
Original post: 8/10/15
Updated: 4/6/20, 10/3/20
25 Unique Chocolate Dessert Bars
Wednesday 20th of February 2019
[…] 15. Chocolate Gooey S’mores Bars […]
Coffee, College & Cousins - eatpicks.com
Friday 14th of August 2015
[…] you missed it earlier this week, It was National S’mores Day and we had a yummy recipe for Gooey Chocolatey S’mores Bars that you have to try! Easy AND […]