Chocolatey s'mores bars recipe is baked but still tastes like the traditional camping s'mores treat! Full of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows, this dessert is perfect for indoor camping dessert!
When someone mentions the words camping, two things come to mind; telling stories around a campfire and eating everyone's favorite dessert: gooey s’mores.
There is something about finding the perfect branch, whittled down to fit a marshmallow or two, slowly twirling above the flames to get a crispy golden brown, then carefully squishing the toasted goodness between graham crackers and chocolate.
Making S'mores at home
When the evenings are cool enough for a fire in the chiminea, the kids are quick to ask “Do we have S’mores stuff?” I think flavors of chocolate, toasted marshmallow, and graham crackers bring out the kid in everyone, don't you agree?
- Patio Firepit: This is probably the closest you can get to camping while at home. There are so many options on the market now, but I love all the options Serenity Health & Home provides. They have every style and variety of firepit both wood-burning and gas, and any accessory you could need. So grab that bag of marshmallows and sticks and get creating!
- Home Oven: When summer is here, it's nice to take a break from the heat and humidity and bring the camping fun indoors! Set up a tent in any room and bake this treat to enjoy. S'mores bars have all the same gooey goodness as the outdoor version but in the shape of a cookie bar!
We're going to use the baked version of this easy s'mores bars recipe because they really are easy & quick.
Graham Crackers: Also, to save time putting this together, I used a box of graham cracker crumbs (usually found with the pie-making section) instead of crushing up the crackers.
Butter: Salted butter is my preference because it will enhance the chocolate and bring out the sweetness of the cookie dough. You can certainly use unsalted if you prefer.
Just like the firepit version, this s'mores bar recipe with graham crackers can handle really fun add-in toppings! Try these next time you make them:
- Bacon: Who doesn't love bacon?! Sprinkle crumbled cooked bacon on top of the toasted marshmallow topping before serving. Yum!
- Peanut Butter: You can put a schmear of peanut butter on cooked cookie crust before adding the chocolate.
- Peanut Butter chips: or, mix in peanut butter morsels with your semi-sweet morsels, for an added flavor bonus!
- Flavored marshmallows: try using flavored marshmallows, like chocolate, toasted coconut, or fruity flavored. What a fun twist to your s'mores bars recipe!
- Preheat: your oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare crust: In a bowl, mix together pouch of sugar cookie mix and graham cracker crumbs. Add melted butter and stir until dough comes together.
- Make the crust: Press prepared dough into a 13×9 inch pan lined with parchment paper. (This will make it easy to remove from pan)
- Bake: cookie-graham cracker dough 15-18 minutes or until crust is set.
- Add chocolate: Pour chocolate chips on top of warm cookie crust. Let sit for a few minutes to melt, and then spread carefully over crust.
- Set oven to top broil.
- Pour marshmallows: over the melted chocolate. Place pan 5-6 inches below the broiler and cook until marshmallows begin to toast. I actually prefer to use a small culinary torch, like this one. It's so much easier than watching it under the broiler!
- Keep a close eye on the marshmallows as they cook very quickly! This should only take about 15 seconds.Cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool 5 more minutes.
- Cut into bars and serve warm.
What you can serve before dessert
It would be awesome if we could always eat dessert before dinner, but why miss such a tasty meal? Here are some easy recipes to enjoy while you're having fun camping indoors or anytime, really!
If you love this recipe for Chocolatey Gooey S'mores Bars, please let us know! We would love for you to share on Pinterest or on Facebook! Be sure to tag us @eatpicks and use the hashtag #eatpicks so we can see your creation!
- 1 envelope pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz.) sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together pouch of cookie mix and graham cracker crumbs. Add melted butter and stir until dough comes together.
- Press dough into a 13x9 inch pan, lined with parchment paper. (This will make it easy to remove from pan)
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until crust is set.
- Pour chocolate chips on top of warm cookie crust. Let sit for a few minutes to melt, and then spread carefully over crust.
- Set oven to top broil.
- Pour marshmallows over the melted chocolate. Place pan 5-6 inches below broiler and cook until marshmallows begin to toast.
- Keep a close eye on the marshmallows as they cook very quickly! This should only take about 15 seconds.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool 5 more minutes.
- Cut into bars and serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Coleman 4-Person Dome Tent for Camping | Sundome Tent with Easy Setup
- Hershey's Milk Chocolate Candy Bars, Bulk Candy, 1.55-Oz. Bars, 36 Count
- Marshmallow Roasting Sticks 10 Pack Extra Long 45’’ Stainless Telescoping Hot Dog Smores Skewers Kids Safe Barbecue Forks for Campfire, Bonfire and Grill
- Jet Puffed Miniature Marshmallows - 16 Ounces
- Honey Maid Honey Graham Crackers, 14.4 oz
- Enjoy Life Foods Semi Sweet Mega-Chunks Chocolate, 10 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g
Original post: 8/10/15