This recipe is a great, delicious version of Mueslix that you just have to make!! A few years ago we were in Chicago and stayed at the Drake Hotel. This cold oatmeal was set out in beautiful glasses on a buffet that also included meats and cheese along with typical continental fare. It was so delicious that I looked forward to having it each and every morning. When we returned home, I emailed the chef and he was kind enough to share the recipe! I will provide what was sent to me and below, I will share my version. So very good!
A Swiss Health Food Item; Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner; Summer or Winter
For Ten People:
2 Cups oatmeal (I used Quaker quick oats)
3/4 cup whole milk (I used skim)
1 cup finely grated hazelnuts or almonds (I used almonds)
1/2 c sugar
2 lbs. apples-grated with the skin on*
2 lbs. pears- grated with the skin on. *
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used vanilla)
Honey to taste ( I did not use this)
Seasonal fresh fruit: berries, peaches and cherries
1/2 cup raisins ( I did not use)
Whipped cream, rasberries, mint leaf-to garnish ( I did not use)
1. Soak the oatmeal in the milk for about 15 minutes
2. Add nuts and sugar
3. Mix apples, pears, lemon juice and yogurt and add to the oatmeal milk mixture
4. Add a little honey and some seasonal fresh fruit
5. Garnish with whipped cream rosette, rasberry and mint leaf
6. Enjoy your meal “en guete”!
* Dr. Bircher created this dish and he insisted on using apples and pears with the skin on.
** In my latest version I used 2 apples, 2 pears, a generous handful of blueberries, a handful of both red and green grapes, which were sliced.