Birchermuesli is a perfect breakfast choice to help keep you feeling full all morning. A delicious combination of quick oats, grated apple and pear, yogurt, chopped nuts, lemon juice, and fruit is great for a healthy start to the day.
This Swiss muesli recipe is a great, delicious version of overnight oats you just have to make!!
A few years ago we were in Chicago and stayed at the Drake Hotel. This cold oatmeal was set out in beautiful glasses on a breakfast buffet that also included meats and cheese along with typical continental fare.
It was so delicious that I looked forward to having it each and every morning. When we returned home, I emailed the chef to see if he would share the recipe, and he did!
My daughter LOVES this healthy muesli recipe and I have to agree it is quite tasty especially during the warm summer months.
What is Bircher muesli made of?
Bircher muesli is swiss style muesli that is full of hearty oats that are soaked in milk or yogurt, lemon juice, honey, and include grated apple and pear, chopped nuts, and fresh berries. It is traditionally served for breakfast, but we have enjoyed this as lunch and dinner too!
Ingredients needed for Birchermuesli recipe
- Oatmeal- Quick Oats are perfect for this quick bircher muesli. If you only have traditional oats, that is ok- just let your oatmeal soak overnight or for a few hours to become soft.
- Milk- Any style milk will work. I have used skim milk in the past, but whole, 1 percent or 2 percent is perfectly fine.
- Nuts- Sliced almonds and chopped hazelnuts taste amazing in this muesli recipe, but I have used only sliced almonds and it tastes just as good!
- Sugar- granulated sugar is best for this breakfast meal.
- Apples- This is also a taste preference- I really like to use Macintosh or gala apples because they tend to be a bit sweeter.
- Pears– Bartlett pears are delicious for this muesli oatmeal!
- Lemon juice- Bottled lemon juice is actually preferred over freshly squeezed lemons. I've tried both and bottled is better.
- Honey- You don't need much, so use whatever honey you have available. If this is not available, you can leave it out.
- Yogurt- I like to use vanilla flavored yogurt rather than plain.
- Seasonal fruits- Add blueberries, blackberries, peaches, or cherries.
- Grapes– My family likes red seedless grapes, but green grapes are good too!
How to Make Bircher Muesli
I will provide what was sent to me and below, I will share my version. So very good!
- Soak the oatmeal in the milk for about 15 minutes so the oats get soft.
- Chop nuts – using a chopper or your chef knife, chop nuts super fine.
- Add chopped nuts and sugar to the softened oats.
- Grate apples and pears on a box grater, including the skins.
- Mix apples, pears, lemon juice, and yogurt and pour into the oatmeal mixture.
- Gently fold honey and some seasonal fresh fruit into the muesli.
- Put bircher muesli in an airtight container and let sit 1 hour or up to overnight.
- To serve, scoop into a bowl or glass and garnish with whipped cream rosette, raspberry, and mint leaf.
How long does bircher muesli last?
This make your own muesli will last for about 3 days. Be sure to keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container with a lid. The recipe creates a lot, but because this is the best muesli recipe, ours always disappears before the 3 days are up!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 2 Cups quick oats
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 lbs. apples-grated with the skin on
- 2 lbs. pears- grated with the skin on
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup yogurt (I used vanilla)
- 1 Tablespoon honey to taste
- 1 cup seasonal fresh fruit: berries, peaches and cherries
- 1 cup red grapes sliced in half
- In a large bowl, soak oats in the milk for about 15 minutes.
- Chop nuts.
- Add chopped nuts and sugar to soaked oats.
- Grate apples and pears on a box grater, and add grated apples, pears, lemon juice, and yogurt to the oatmeal milk mixture.
- Add a little honey and some seasonal fresh fruit
- Add grapes and gently fold all together until combined.
- Place bircher muesli in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour up to overnight.
- Serve oats in a bowl or glass.
- Garnish with whipped cream rosette, raspberry and mint leaf (optional)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
13-piece Measuring Cups and Spoons Set, 18/8 Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Good Grips with Ring Connector
Eslite Large Soup Spoons/Stainless Steel Bouillion Spoons,12-Piece,7.7 Inches
Rubbermaid 2108392 Easy Find Vented Lids Food Storage, Set of 8 (16 Pieces Total) Plastic Meal Prep Containers, 8-Pack, Racer Red
FISHER Chef's Naturals Sliced Almonds, 16 oz, Naturally Gluten Free, No Preservatives, Non-GMO
Cuisinart CTG-00-BG Boxed Grater
LIFVER Serving Bowls, 36 Ounces Porcelain Large Bowls Set, White Bowl Set for Salad, Soup, Dessert, Set of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 9gSugar: 37gProtein: 7g
Original Post: 2/23/10
Updated post: 5/27/20