Easy beef barley soup is full of hearty beef, rich broth, barley, and vegetables. A healthy and nutritious meal in one bowl!
Homemade beef barley soup is very easy to make and will warm you up like a big hug!
Super delicious beef barley soup
I don't know about you, but when the weather takes a turn toward the cold and dreary direction, I pull out every recipe in the file book for hearty, hot soups.
I like to have something quick and simple because I don't really like to wait and as every cook knows, simple always tastes good! This easy beef barley soup is full of juicy bite-sized morsels of cooked roast beef, quick-cooking barley, vegetables, and broth, and can be ready in less than an hour.
Ingredients for beef soup
- Sirloin Beef Tips, cut into bite-sized pieces (1-inch cubes)
- Carrots, peeled and sliced
- Celery, sliced
- Onion, diced
- Clove garlic, minced
- 15oz can diced tomatoes
- Quick-cooking barley– I use Quaker Brand. It cooks up beautifully!
- Olive oil
- Beef stock
- Beef bullion
- Bay leaf
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dry thyme (optional)
Honestly, I love soup any time of year, but I really crave it on blustery days, filled with rain or snow. Putting a pot of soup on the stove fills the house with a “cozy” aroma and makes you want to grab the thick woven throw from the back of the sofa, curl up with a good book, and savor a steaming cup or bowl of goodness.
Make beef barley soup from scratch
It only took 10 minutes to brown the beef in a heavy-bottom pot or Dutch Oven and another 10 minutes or so to soften up the mirepoix (diced carrots, celery, onion) in a bit of oil and beef drippings, garlic, broth, barley, and tomatoes.
If you wanted to make beef barley soup with mushrooms, green beans, peas, or other vegetables, this would be where you would add them.
I let that cook for 30 minutes or so and dinner was ready!
Easy Beef Barley Soup is the perfect way to take the chill away!
Can you freeze beef barley soup?
Yes! This soup freezes really well. If you have any soup leftover, add to an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, defrost soup and heat on stove or in the microwave.
What to serve with quick and easy beef barley soup
Because this soup is so hearty, I like to simply serve it with a small side green salad or roll.
And give these Philly Cheesesteak Sliders a try- they look so delicious!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 4-5 Sirloin Beef Tips, cut in bite sized pieces (1-inch cubes)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quick cooking barley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 32 oz beef stock
- 1 cube beef bullion
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. dry thyme (optional)
- Add oil to 5qt dutch oven or pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Add cubed beef in single layer and brown on all sides; work in batches if need be.
- Remove cooked beef to a bowl and set aside.
- In same pan, add onion, carrot & celery and cook until onions are soft and translucent; about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (and can juices), beef stock, water, bullion, and spices. Add reserved bowl of cooked beef and any drippings from bowl.
- Add barley and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover with lid.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Serve with a sandwich, salad or artisan roll.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kitchen Dish Towels with Vintage Design for Kitchen Decor Super Absorbent 100% Natural Cotton Kitchen Towels (Size: 25.5 x 15.5 inches) White with Red, Green and Blue, 13-Pack
Quaker Quick Barley, 11 oz (Pack of 2)
Le Creuset LS2502-356MSS Signature Enameled Cast-Iron Oval French (Dutch) Oven, 9.5 Quart, Marine
Porcelain Ceramic Onion Soup Crock Bowl, Small 10 Ounce, Set of 4, Brown and Beige
Eslite Large Soup Spoons/Stainless Steel Bouillion Spoons,12-Piece,7.7 Inches
Zulay Premium 12 Inch Stainless Steel Ladle with Long Handle and Ample Bowl Capacity Perfect for Stirring, Serving Soups Heavy-Duty Metal Ladle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
Original Post: 1/12/18
Updated Post 10/30/20