Chocolate orange cake mix cookies are moist, soft, and easy to make with a few simple ingredients. Flavors of chocolate and orange come together for a melt in your mouth sweet treat!
Soft chewy cookies with cake mix
Cake mix cookies are one of those treats that are the best kept baking secret. Once you make them you will be amazed how easy it can be to have a chewy, soft cookie without a lot of work.
I think the best part of making cookies this way is the unlimited flavor variations you can create with a flavor cake mix, like this amazing combo of chocolate and orange.
Ingredients for chocolate orange cookies
- Boxed cake mix, 1- chocolate; 1-vanilla
- Vegetable oil split 1/2 cup for each cake mix
- Eggs split 2 for each cake mix
- Candied orange peel
- Candied orange peel for garnish
Related recipes: Orange Crush Cake, Clementine Pound Cake, Chocolate Chip Cake, Lemon Pound Cake, Homemade Orange Lemonade, Chocolate Sheet Pan Cake, Chocolate Nutella Sugar Cookies, Orange Glazed Salmon
How to make cookies from cake mix
Orange cake mix cookies are so easy and honestly, you can make any cake mix into a soft, chewy cookie.
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Pour chocolate cake mix into one mixing bowl and vanilla cake mix into separate bowl.
In a small bowl, combine 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil, whisking until incorporated.
Pour this into the chocolate cake mix and stir well. The batter will be thick. Next, add 2 Tablespoons of minced candied orange peel to the chocolate batter and stir.
Repeat egg and oil mixture and pour this into vanilla cake mix and stir.
Drop cookie batter by 1 Tablespoon or use a cookie scoop onto parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake 12-14 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute. Remove from baking sheet and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
Frost with vanilla frosting and top with small slices of candied orange peel.
I love orange and chocolate- I mean let’s be honest- is there anything that doesn’t go with chocolate? I kept the yellow cake mix as is and added a little slice of candied orange to a frosted cookie. Yum!
- 2 boxed cake mix, 1- chocolate; 1-vanilla
- 1 cup vegetable oil, split 1/2 cup for each cake mix
- 4 eggs, split 2 for each cake mix
- 1 Tbsp. candied orange peel
- 2 slices candied orange peel for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour chocolate mix into one bowl and vanilla mix into separate bowl.
- In small bowl, combine 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil, whisking until incorporated.
- Pour this into chocolate mix and combine. Batter will be thick. Add 2 Tbsp. minced candied orange peel to chocolate batter.
- Repeat egg and oil mixture and pour this into vanilla mix and stir.
- Drop by 1 Tablespoon onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Frost with vanilla frosting and top with small slices of candied orange peel (optional)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OliveNation Candied Orange Peel Slices 1 lb (16 oz.)
3 Tier Rectangular Serving Platter, Three Tiered Cake Tray Stand, Food Server Display Plate Rack, White
Home Basics Tin Kitchen Food Storage Organization Canister Collection (Cookie Jar with Cover, Ivory)
Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
YOUTAI Oven Mitts and Pot Holders, 4PCS Oven Mitts Set, Heat Resistant up to 572 F/300°C Non-Slip Food Grade Kitchen Mitten Silicone Cooking Gloves for Kitchen, BBQ Cooking Baking Grilling
USA Pan Bakeware Quarter Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 666mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 4g
Original post: 4/17/15
Updated Post 12/18/20