It’s Friday and I am feeling a bit nostalgic. When the kids were younger, Friday nights were reserved for family movie night. We would make fun snacks, have bath time, get into our cozy jammies and camp out with pillows and blankets on the living room floor while we waited for the chosen movie to begin. It was a great way to wind down a busy week and enjoy some quality time together. If you still have little ones, then today’s digital release of Paddington is the perfect time to enjoy a family movie night! I even have a delicious themed recipe for Orange Cake Mix Cookies that will be the perfect snack to enjoy.
This is a cute little movie and I’m sure if it was available when our kids were younger there would have been many giggles. As we have just celebrated birthday number 18 with our youngest, I’m afraid I will have to watch on my own, that is unless I strategically place my yummy orange cake mix cookies close by.
So, how did I come up with this recipe? Well, I knew the character Paddington loved marmalade and that inspired me to search the pantry to see if I had a jar to make thumbprint cookies. No luck there- BUT…I did have some candied orange slices that I was going to use for garnish on a cake. The creative wheels started to turn and instead of baking a big ‘ole cake, I decided to use the cake mix as cookie batter.
Orange cake mix cookies are so easy and honestly, you can make any cake mix into a soft, chewy cookie; all you need are 2 eggs and ½ cup vegetable oil and you are ready to go! For this recipe I mixed up a box of chocolate and a box of yellow and went to town. In the chocolate batter I added minced up candied orange peel for a super delicious flavor I love orange and chocolate- I mean let’s be honest- is there anything that doesn’t go with chocolate? I kept the yellow cake mix as is and added a little slice of candied orange to a frosted cookie. Yum!
Are you a fan of oranges? Me too! You might want to try my recipe for clementine pound cake for a really delicious treat too! Mmm, mmm!
So, if you are looking to have a fun evening tonight as a family, you can whip up these cookies in a flash! There is a great Paddington Movie Night party kit you can also get by visiting http://bit.ly/PaddingtonParties where you can download free printables, activities, crafts and more.
Paddington Orange Cake Mix Cookies
A delicious cookie made from boxed cake mix is super easy to make.
- 2 boxed cake mix, 1- chocolate; 1-vanilla
- 1 cup vegetable oil, split 1/2 cup for each cake mix
- 4 eggs, split 2 for each cake mix
- 1 Tbsp. candied orange peel
- 2 slices candied orange peel for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour chocolate mix into one bowl and vanilla mix into separate bowl.
- In small bowl, combine 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil, whisking until incorporated.
- Pour this into chocolate mix and combine. Batter will be thick. Add 2 Tbsp. minced candied orange peel to chocolate batter.
- Repeat egg and oil mixture and pour this into vanilla mix and stir.
- Drop by 1 Tablespoon onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Frost with vanilla frosting and top with small slices of candied orange peel (optional)