I got a call from my father one New Year’s Eve around 7:30pm requesting us to not call at midnight to say Happy New Year, for he would be in bed. We both laughed and wished each other a good night. Before we hung up, he asked the question “So, what are you having for dinner tomorrow?” My answer was “Pork & sauerkraut of course!”
Tradition has it in Pennsylvania Dutch country that eating this dish on New Years Day will bring good luck for the year. How could you pass that up?
Something you will notice with PA Dutch dishes: most are very basic and boiled! This recipe is no exception.
I wish you a year of good fortune!
—- There is a printable recipe below this one. —-
Pork & Sauerkraut Recipe
2-3 lb. Center cut boneless pork roast
1 (32 oz) Silver Floss Shredded Sauerkraut (in the glass jar)
Salt & Pepper
Place pork roast in pot with about 2 cups water. Cover with entire jar of sauerkraut. Salt & pepper. Place lid on pot and simmer for 4 hours.
A must on your dish? Mashed potatoes!
- 2-3 lb. Center cut boneless pork roast
- 1 (32 oz) Silver Floss Shredded Sauerkraut (in the glass jar)
- Salt & Pepper
- Place pork roast in pot with about 2 cups water.
- Cover with entire jar of sauerkraut.
- Salt & pepper.
- Place lid on pot and simmer for 4 hours.
- A must on your dish? Mashed potatoes!
Like simple recipes? Check these out!
- In Pennsylvania we eat stuffing – not dressing.
- Three Ingredient Sugar Dates
- Make Ahead Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- Quick Easy Pasta Recipe
If you like this post, you might also like these