Winter has finally decided to show up here in the Northeast and nothing warms you up on a cold, blustery day like this easy beef barley soup. Full of juicy bite-sized morsels of Certified Angus Beef®, quick cooking barley, vegetables and broth, this meal can be ready in less than an hour.
I love soup any time of year, but I really crave it on cold, blustery days, filled with rain or snow. It fills the house with “cozy” and makes you want to grab the thick woven throw from the back of the sofa and curl up with a good book and a steaming cup or bowl of goodness.
Last weekend I was in Connecticut to ref a speedskating meet. Usually there are a few refs in order to rotate and give our feet a break from our constrictive boots and cold from the sheet of ice. This time, there were only two of us, so that meant a full 8 hours in my skating boots, on the ice. My feet were so cold; heck, my whole being was frozen! On the way home, soup was mentioned and from that moment on, I had a craving for this beef barley soup in the worst of ways! i just had to make it!
So, in the middle of a cold, icy downpour, I went to my local market, grabbed some Certified Angus Beef® sirloin tips, carrots, celery and beef broth and came straight home to put on some soup! It only took 10 minutes to brown the beef and another 10 minutes or so to soften up the mirepoix (diced carrots, celery, onion) in a bit of oil and beef drippings, garlic, broth, barley and tomatoes. I let that cook for 30 minutes or so and dinner was ready!
Easy Beef Barley Soup is the perfect way to take the chill away! 🙂
Easy Beef Barley Soup
Tender Beef, vegetables and barley cook in a rich beef broth for a meal that warms your soul on cold winter days.
- 4-5 Sirloin Beef Tips, cut in bite sized pieces (1-inch cubes)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quick cooking barley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 32 oz beef stock
- 1 cube beef bullion
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. dry thyme (optional)
- Add oil to 5qt dutch oven or pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Add cubed beef in single layer and brown on all sides; work in batches if need be.
- Remove cooked beef to a bowl and set aside.
- In same pan, add onion, carrot & celery and cook until onions are soft and translucent; about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (and can juices), beef stock, water, bullion, and spices. Add reserved bowl of cooked beef and any drippings from bowl.
- Add barley and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover with lid.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Serve with a sandwich, salad or artisan roll.
What is your favorite soup recipe?
We have other fantastic soup recipes like Low Fat Butternut Squash
Yum all around!
If you like this post, you might also like these