I have finally done it. I have made a pumpkin roll. Now, some of you may say “Yeah, so what?”, but this is the FIRST time in all my baking years that I have made a “roll” cake. I have always been afraid that I would mess one up, so I never bothered to make one, although, I love to eat them! So, today I decided to put caution to the wind. I needed to post a baked good recipe anyway. I can't wait to try it in an hour or so to see how it came out!
Why a pumpkin roll and not a jelly roll cake? Well, the reason is of pure function. I have an old recipe for pumpkin cookies (that I will share very soon) that I make every fall. I started making them when the kids were little to hide the fact that they were getting something nutritious in their treats. The only downside is that the recipe uses only a portion of the canned pumpkin, which has left exactly 2/3 cup of pumpkin leftover. I just made these cookies a few days ago (and are now gone by the way) and I thought not again! I can't waste another small amount of this; so I started reading the recipes on the label and what do you know! A pumpkin roll cake requires exactly 2/3 cup!
This recipe is directly from the Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin 15oz. can. I did modify the filling a little bit, because I didn't have enough butter softened. I'll note any change with an ** .
- Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter or margarine softened ** I used 4Tbsp. butter & 2 Tbsp. margarine**
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375' F. Grease 15x10" jelly roll pan. ( I used a small cookie sheet);
- line pan with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.
- Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. (sprinkle with nuts).** I did not put in nuts, because I think this cake should be smooth; it is a preference thing.**
- Bake for 13-15 minutes ( found this was done after 12 minutes) or until top of cake springs back when touched.
- Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel.
- Carefully peel off paper.
- Roll up cake and towel together starting with the narrow end.
- Cool on wire rack.
- For Filling: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.
- Reroll cake.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 1gSugar: 56gProtein: 6g