I have finally done it. I have made a pumpkin roll. Now, some of you may say “Yeah, so what?”, but this is the FIRST time in all my baking years that I have made a “roll” cake. I have always been afraid that I would mess one up, so I never bothered to make one, although, I love to eat them! So, today I decided to put caution to the wind. I needed to post a baked good recipe anyway. I can’t wait to try it in an hour or so to see how it came out!
Why a pumpkin roll and not a jelly roll cake? Well, the reason is of pure function. I have an old recipe for pumpkin cookies (that I will share very soon) that I make every fall. I started making them when the kids were little to hide the fact that they were getting something nutritious in their treats. The only down side is that the recipe uses only a portion of the canned pumpkin, which has left exactly 2/3 cup of pumpkin left over. I just made these cookies a few days ago (and are now gone by the way) and I thought not again! I can’t waste another small amount of this; so I started reading the recipes on the label and what do you know! A pumpkin roll cake requires exactly 2/3 cup!
This recipe is directly from the Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin 15oz. can. I did modify the filling a little bit, because I didn’t have enough butter softened. I’ll note any change with an ** .
Libby's Pumpkin Roll
Yield 10 servings
- Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter or margarine softened ** I used 4Tbsp. butter & 2 Tbsp. margarine**
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- For Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375' F. Grease 15x10" jelly roll pan. ( I used a small cookie sheet);
- line pan with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.
- Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. (sprinkle with nuts).** I did not put in nuts, because I think this cake should be smooth; it is a preference thing.**
- Bake for 13-15 minutes ( found this was done after 12 minutes) or until top of cake springs back when touched.
- Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel.
- Carefully peel off paper.
- Roll up cake and towel together starting with the narrow end.
- Cool on wire rack.
- For Filling: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.
- Reroll cake.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.