Learn how to make Shirley Temple cupcakes using only 2 ingredients! This is our favorite Shirley Temple recipe made with a box cake mix and craft soda. It is a very easy dessert to bake for a birthday or special celebration.
Unique cupcake recipe with Shirley Temple soda
I can remember as a young child, getting dressed in my favorite frock, and waiting patiently at the restaurant table with my family for dinner.
Back then, going out to eat was a treat! When drink orders were taken, I never passed up the opportunity to order a “fancy drink” which was better known as a Shirley Temple. This special non-alcohol beverage was made up of ginger ale, a splash of grenadine, and a couple of maraschino cherries.
Now they make this special concoction into a soda! When I saw a six-pack in the grocery store I knew it would be a perfect ingredient to make really unique cupcake recipes!
Easy 2-ingredient cupcake recipe
This cupcake recipe is really easy as it only takes 2 ingredients to make!
- Shirley Temple Soda: Find a bottle of craft Shirley Temple Soda. I used Saranac soda and found it on Amazon. You can order a whole 24-pack and use one bottle to make a flavored Shirley Temple cake and have some to serve as a sweet retro drink.
- Cake Mix: The other ingredient is a box of white cake mix. Use your favorite brand to create a delicious and fun cupcake recipe! I picked a white cake mix because the color of the soda will turn the cupcake a light shade of lovely pink.
How to make Shirley Temple cupcakes recipe
I love that I can make these Shirley Temple cupcakes using a box cake mix and a bottle of soda. It's also awesome that these can be frosted with store-bought frosting with a small teaspoon of soda added for a kick of flavor.
To make cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a muffin baking pan with cupcake paper liners.
Combine soda and box cake mix in a large mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Do not add anything else to this mixture.
Pour cake batter into a paper-lined muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick tests clean.
Decorate with your favorite frosting and sprinkle of sugar or make it extra fancy with a maraschino cherry on top!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 bottle or can Shirley Temple Soda, measure out 12 oz.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and 1 can (or measure out 12 oz.) Shirley Temple Soda. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CAKE MIX.
- Pour into paper-lined muffin cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan then turn out to wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Classic White Cake Mix, 12 - 15.25 OZ Boxes.
Godinger Dublin Cake Plate Cake Stand,12 inches
Saranac Shirley Temple Soda Pop - 12 oz Bottle - 24 Pack
Chef Craft Parchment Paper Cupcake Liners, One Size, White
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Muffin Pan
Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 0g
Original Post: 1/29/17
Updated Post 11/19/20