Learn how to make Shirley Temple cupcakes using only 2 ingredients! This is our favorite Shirley Temple recipe made with a box cake mix and craft soda. It is a very easy dessert to bake for a birthday or special celebration.
Unique cupcake recipe with Shirley Temple soda
I can remember as a young child, getting dressed in my favorite frock, and waiting patiently at the restaurant table with my family for dinner.
Back then, going out to eat was a treat! When drink orders were taken, I never passed up the opportunity to order a “fancy drink” which was better known as a Shirley Temple. This special non-alcohol beverage was made up of ginger ale, a splash of grenadine, and a couple of maraschino cherries.
Now they make this special concoction into a soda! When I saw a six-pack in the grocery store I knew it would be a perfect ingredient to make really unique cupcake recipes!
Easy 2-ingredient cupcake recipe
This cupcake recipe is really easy as it only takes 2 ingredients to make!
- Shirley Temple Soda: Find a bottle of craft Shirley Temple Soda. I used Saranac soda and found it on Amazon. You can order a whole 24-pack and use one bottle to make a flavored Shirley Temple cake and have some to serve as a sweet retro drink.
- Cake Mix: The other ingredient is a box of white cake mix. Use your favorite brand to create a delicious and fun cupcake recipe! I picked a white cake mix because the color of the soda will turn the cupcake a light shade of lovely pink.
How to make Shirley Temple cupcakes recipe
I love that I can make these Shirley Temple cupcakes using a box cake mix and a bottle of soda. It's also awesome that these can be frosted with store-bought frosting with a small teaspoon of soda added for a kick of flavor.
To make cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a muffin baking pan with cupcake paper liners.
Combine soda and box cake mix in a large mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Do not add anything else to this mixture.
Pour cake batter into a paper-lined muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick tests clean.
Decorate with your favorite frosting and sprinkle of sugar or make it extra fancy with a maraschino cherry on top!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get all the latest posts straight to your inbox!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 bottle or can Shirley Temple Soda, measure out 12 oz.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and 1 can (or measure out 12 oz.) Shirley Temple Soda. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CAKE MIX.
- Pour into paper-lined muffin cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan then turn out to wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Classic White Cake Mix, 12 - 15.25 OZ Boxes.
Godinger Dublin Cake Plate Cake Stand,12 inches
Saranac Shirley Temple Soda Pop - 12 oz Bottle - 24 Pack
Chef Craft Parchment Paper Cupcake Liners, One Size, White
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Muffin Pan
Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 0g
Original Post: 1/29/17
Updated Post 11/19/20