Today I'm going to share a recipe that is one of our favorites- Garlic Lemon Chicken with Capers.When I want to “Wow!” guests, this is one of my go – to recipes. It's super delicious and easy to make and I've learned that it is perfect for big parties!
When our daughter graduated high school I waited too long to book a caterer, so we needed to put together a menu for her party. We ordered a few items from local places such as a sub platter and fruit platter, but had to make the rest ourselves. This is when I really put my garlic lemon chicken with capers dish to the test; I needed to see how well it would freeze and how well it could be doubled to feed a large crowd.
Garlic Lemon Chicken with Capers Freezes Great!
Because we don't have a lot of storage space, I needed to freeze a few dishes ahead of time and this was one of them. I was a bit nervous to freeze it because I wasn't sure how the sauce would react with the rest of the dish, but I really did not have a choice. A week before the party, I made a huge batch, filling two half-trays and then crossed my fingers it would work! The night before the party, I took each tray out and let them defrost in the fridge. When the chafing trays were ready, I set them in, placed the cover on top and hoped for the best.
Perfect Dish for Grad Parties!
With trays of ziti, sausage & peppers, my dad's awesome eggplant parm, lemon garlic chicken with capers, subs, salads and snacks- the first dish to disappear was the chicken! In fact, I had guests ask me a few times if they could have the recipe.
I shared this recipe on Facebook with a friend, who was making this for a dinner party and she was privy to the “audible sounds of delight” from her guests.
So, when you make this recipe- because I know you will- let me know how it turns out!
- 2-4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small jar capers, drained
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour for dredging (approx.)
- Salt & Pepper
- Cut chicken breast pieces in half. Then slice into thin pieces (1 inch) or pound flat.
- Add flour, salt & pepper in a pie dish and whisk with fork to mix. In separate dish add milk.
- Dip chicken pieces into milk and then dredge both sides in flour mixture. Tap off excess and set on tray until all chicken pieces are coated.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium – high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Working in batches, place floured chicken in skillet and cook until golden brown; 3-4 minutes. Turn and cook additional 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan and place in serving dish. Repeat process until all chicken pieces are cooked.
- Carefully pour chicken broth into pan to deglaze, scraping brown bits off bottom. Add in lemon juice and bring to simmer.
- Pour sauce over chicken and top with capers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 24g