The bounty of summer gardens and farmer's markets are going to be overflowing soon with summer squash. Even road-side stands will have stacks of yellow squash and zucchini ready for home cooks to use in creating a great recipe.
Zucchini is always a staple in summer recipes, like zucchini carrot muffins, quick bread, and even pancakes! With the invention of “zoodles“, also known as zucchini noodles, I have even enjoyed this summer squash as a tasty zucchini pasta.
But, when craving eggplant parmesan and not having an eggplant, I solved the problem by grabbing a couple of zucchini out of the crisper, and a discovered new recipe for dinner!
Believe it or not, zucchini parmesan tastes pretty close to eggplant parm, but if you are not a fan of eggplant, this type of squash is a great alternative to be able to enjoy this tasty Italian dish.
You can also enjoy zucchini as:
- Stuffed zucchini: stuffed with feta cheese and tomatoes.
- Zucchini sticks or zucchini fries, breaded and made in this Ninja air fryer would be amazing!
- Fritters with apple chutney. Yum!
- Soup- add cubed zucchini to broth or in a spaghetti sauce.
- Crudites- serve uncooked raw zucchini (or courgette) side by side with celery, carrots, and other veggies with your favorite dip or hummus! (I love this beautiful French cutting board I found on Etsy!)
- Sauteed- cooked with onions and yellow squash makes an amazing, quick side dish.
- Salad- Top a salad with cooked squash or slice zucchini into discs and add your favorite dressing.
- Zoodle pasta: add sauce and sprinkle of cheese to enjoy like spaghetti! (I like this spiralizer on Amazon)
Ingredients for zucchini parm stacks
The list of ingredients is pretty straightforward. All exact measurements can be found in our recipe card below.
- Fresh zucchini 1 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced in ¼ -inch slices
- Jar of store-bought spaghetti sauce (or homemade)
- Panko bread crumbs
- Grated pecorino romano cheese (I only use Locatelli Brand– it is the best!)
- Garlic salt
- Ground pepper
- Olive oil
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
A few tips for preparing zucchini parm recipe
Here are a few helpful tips to follow to help make prepping this recipe quick and easy.
- Wash zucchini.
- If you have a fresh squash from the local farm stand, chances are it is not covered in wax like the ones you find in the store. If this is the case, you can either peel or leave the skin. If it is from the store, I would peel the skin.
- Have two shallow bowls (or Pyrex pie plates like I use) One for dipping in egg, and one for dipping in breadcrumb mixture.
- A prepared baking sheet with parchment paper.
- And an 8×8 baking dish you will use to cook the zucchini stacks.
How to make zucchini parm stacks
To keep the crispy texture you get with frying, I used panko bread crumbs for an extra crunch and it worked beautifully for this zucchini parm recipe.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare squash by washing thoroughly.
Peel and with a chef knife, cut zucchini into 1/4 inch thick discs and set aside.
In a shallow bowl, add beaten eggs.
In a separate bowl, add panko bread crumbs, grated cheese, garlic salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir well.
Dip zucchini slices in egg, then transfer to bread crumb mixture. Press gently to cover one side, turn, and press gently to coat zucchini.
Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake in oven 20 minutes, turning zucchini over after 10 minutes until golden brown.
To prepare zucchini stacks
Place ½ cup of sauce and spread with the back of a spoon in an 8×8 baking dish.
Place a cooked zucchini round in the corner of the baking dish, and top with a pinch of mozzarella cheese and dab of sauce.
Place another zucchini slice on top of first and repeat with cheese and sauce. Place the final zucchini round and repeat the steps above.
Repeat stacks until the baking pan is full. You should have roughly 3 rows of 3 stacks.
Sprinkle with a bit more cheese and place back in the oven, uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese is almost melted.
This is such a great recipe and can be enjoyed as the main meal or serve as a tasty side dish! Zucchini is full of health benefits including vitamins C and A, potassium, folate, and fiber making it a perfect low-carb snack or healthy meal!
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced in ¼ -inch slices
- 1 cup prepared spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. parsley
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (approx.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, prepare zucchini slices and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, add 2 beaten eggs.
- In a separate bowl, add panko crumbs, grated cheese, garlic salt, pepper and parsley. Stir well.
- Dip zucchini slices in egg, then transfer to bread crumb mixture. Press gently to cover one side, turn and press gently to coat zucchini. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven 20 minutes, turning zucchini over after 10 minutes.
- In an 8x8 inch baking dish, place ½ cup of sauce and spread with back of a spoon.
- Place a zucchini round in corner. Top with a pinch of mozzarella cheese and dab of sauce. Place another zucchini round on top of first and repeat with cheese and sauce. Place final zucchini round and repeat steps above. Repeat stacks until pan is full. You should have roughly 3 rows of 3 stacks.
- Sprinkle with a bit more cheese and place back in the oven, uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese is almost melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Anchor Hocking 8-InchSquare Glass Baking Dish with TrueFit Cherry Lid -
- Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, 5-Quart, Black/Gray
- Paderno World Cuisine 3-Blade Vegetable Slicer / Spiralizer, Counter-Mounted and includes 3 Stainless Steel Blades
- 4C 6 Pack Bread Crumbs Seasoned 15oz
- YOUTAI Oven Mitts and Pot Holders, 4PCS Oven Mitts Set, Heat Resistant up to 572 F/300°C Non-Slip Food Grade Kitchen Mitten Silicone Cooking Gloves for Kitchen, BBQ Cooking Baking Grilling
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Pie Plate (9.5-Inch, 2-Pack)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 678mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Original post: 7/18/14
Updated post: 6/25/20