Are you ready for Shark Week?! Let us show you how to make shark cupcakes that are perfect for your viewing party, birthday, or for any special sharp-toothed fish enthusiast! These cupcakes have a cute DIY fin topper too!
When I was younger, I was obsessed with animals, nature, and the ocean and spent a lot of time reading all the Time-Life books I could get my hands on- The Sea was one of my favorites.
Can you believe I FOUND this?? If you are over 40, then you know these books!
This was our internet.
Anyway, when I was 8, I begged my father to take me to see the movie Jaws. I was SO excited to see it and had absolutely no clue what was in store.
The movie scarred me for good and I can tell you with certainty, I never swam in the ocean again. Don't misunderstand- the ocean is my favorite place, but the only thing that goes into the water are my toes.
Discovery Channel Shark Week
Enter Shark Week on the Discovery Channel and I've been hooked ever since it debuted in 1987. I am obsessed with this show and have made it a point to tune in every single year to learn all about the fish that scares me the most!
Shark Cupcakes Are Great For Shark Week or Themed Birthday Party!
Are you having a Shark Week party? These delicious cake mix cupcakes are perfect to have on the treat table. They are also a super fun way to celebrate an under the sea or sea creature themed birthday party!
Ingredients for Shark Cupcakes
To make these fun and delicious cakes you will need 4 simple ingredients:
- A box of Funfetti Cake Mix (or favorite white cake mix)
- Frosting in three colors: blue/aqua, purple, and white (Used Pillsbury Funfetti Frosting)
- Fish sprinkles
- Black Fondant– see tip below for a non-edible sharkfin topper option
Fun Fin Tip: If you would like to make your DIY fin topper edible, use fondant. If you want a non-edible version, you can use black construction paper and secure it on a toothpick. If you prefer to just go with a pre-made topper, I found these Shark fin toppers on Amazon!
Tools Needed to Make Cupcakes
- Disposable Pastry Bags (I like to use Wilton)
- 1 M Star Tip (I like Wilton because they are easy to find)
- Blue Food Coloring
- Wax Paper
- Paper Cupcake Liners
- Fondant rolling pin
How to make Shark Cupcakes for Shark Week
Prepare cupcakes according to cake mix directions.
Add about ½ cup each color frosting to its own piping bag. You will have 3 bags.
Snip the end off the piping bags.
Prepare a fourth piping bag with the open star tip at the bottom.
Slide the three other piping bags into the fourth and twist the open ends to force the frosting down into the tip.
Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the inside of the cupcake towards the outer circle and back to the middle to create a peak.
Roll fondant flat and cut into triangles.
Press one triangle into each cupcake at the peak of the frosting.
Decorate with sprinkles.
More shark cupcake ideas
There are many shark cupcake and shark cake ideas! Here are some of our favorites:
- Last year Baby Shark was all the rage from the Baby Shark song to Baby Shark pajamas. I love the Baby Shark cupcakes toppers and birthday decorations! They are so cute!
- If you decide to forego the DIY fondant fin, there are so many shark cupcakes toppers to choose from! I've seen shark cupcakes with Oreos, gummy shark cupcakes, and even a whole decorating set for a shark cake and cupcakes!
- I LOVE this Shark storage bin! You can use it for decorating, or for playing a birthday game of toss!
And a great party favor or use for decorating a shark cake is this big bucket of sharks! Perfect real-life looking toy sharks you can decorate with and then use for playtime!
My family knows how much I love this time of the year when Shark Week starts! I cannot wait to make these shark cupcakes to celebrate!
If you make our Shark Cupcake recipe, please help me share the love by sharing on Facebook and pinning to your favorite Pinterest board!
We have so many wonderful recipes and helpful tips when it comes to creating delicious meals and scrumptious desserts!
DID YOU MAKE THIS? PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE BELOW!
- 12 cupcakes from your favorite recipe or boxed mix
- 2 to 3 cups vanilla frosting in three colors: blue/aqua, purple, and white (Used Pillsbury Funfetti Frosting)
- Fish sprinkles (Used from Pillsbury Funfetti Frosting in Bright Aqua)
- Black fondant, or purchased shark fin topper
- Add about ½ cup each color frosting to its own piping bag. You will have 3 bags.
- Snip the end off the piping bags.
- Prepare a fourth piping bag with the open star tip.
- Slide the three other piping bags into the fourth and twist the open ends to force the frosting down into the tip.
- Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the inside of the cupcake towards the outer circle and back to the middle to create a peak.
- Roll fondant flat and cut into triangles.
- Press one triangle into each cupcake at the peak of the frosting.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
You will also need:
Large open star tip (Wilton 1M Open Star Piping Tip)
Fun Shark Week party decorations!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bedwina Stuffed Animal Sharks - Pack of 2 Large, 14 inch Mako & 13 inch Hammerhead Plush Shark Toys, Stuff Animals Toy, for Baby Toddlers & Kids
Baby Little Shark Cake Topper Happy Birthday Cupcake Picks, A Series of Birthday Cake Supplies Decorations(18 Pcs)
Shark Banner, Shark Garland, Ocean Animals/Baby Shark/Under The Sea/Summer Beach Bach/Swimming Pool/Hawaii Luau/Shark Doo Doo Theme Baby Shower Birthday Party Supplies Decorations
Wilton 418-1704 Icing Tip Set, X-Large
Wilton 2104-1249 Decorating Tools, 12" 100 count
Big Dot of Happiness Shark Zone - Jawsome Shark Viewing Week Party or Birthday Party Tableware Plates and Napkins - Bundle for 16
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 872Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 512mgCarbohydrates: 132gFiber: 2gSugar: 116gProtein: 6g
Original post: 7/25/19
Updated post: 7/13/20