Are you ready for Shark Week?! Let us show you how to make shark cupcakes that are perfect for your viewing party or for your special sharp-toothed fish enthusiast! These cupcakes have a cute DIY fin topper too!
When I was younger, I was obsessed with animals, nature, and the ocean and spent a lot of time reading all the Time-Life books I could get my hands on- The Sea was one of my favorites.
Can you believe I FOUND this?? If you are over 40, then you know these books!
This was our internet.
Anyway, when I was 8, I begged my father to take me to see the movie Jaws. I was SO excited to see it and had absolutely no clue what was in store.
The movie scarred me for good and I can tell you with certainty, I never swam in the ocean again. Don't misunderstand- the ocean is my favorite place, but the only thing that goes into the water are my toes.
In fact, it took a great amount of courage for me to step foot on my first cruise because of the belief if the ship ever sank, then sharks would eat me of course.
Discovery Channel Shark Week
Enter Shark Week on the Discovery Channel and I've been hooked ever since it debuted in 1987. I am obsessed with this show and have made it a point to tune in every single year to learn all about the fish that scares me the most!
Shark Cupcakes Are Great For Shark Week or Themed Birthday Party!
Are you having a Shark Week party? These delicious cake mix cupcakes are perfect to have on the treat table. They are also a super fun way to celebrate an under the sea or sea creature themed birthday party!
If you like theme party ideas, you may enjoy our post for Top 5 Things You Need For Bob Ross Themed Party
Ingredients Needed for Shark Cupcakes
To make these fun and delicious cakes you will need 4 simple ingredients:
- A box of Funfetti Cake Mix (or favorite white cake mix)
- Frosting in three colors: blue/aqua, purple, and white (Used Pillsbury Funfetti Frosting)
- Fish sprinkles
- Black Fondant– see tip below for a non-edible option
Tools Needed to Make Cupcakes
- Disposable Pastry Bags (I like to use Wilton)
- 1 M Star Tip (I like Wilton because they are easy to find)
- Blue Food Coloring
- Wax Paper
- Paper Cupcake Liners
- Fondant rolling pin
How to Make Shark Cupcakes for Shark Week
Prepare cupcakes according to cake mix directions.
Add about ½ cup each color frosting to its own piping bag. You will have 3 bags.
Snip the end off the piping bags.
Prepare a fourth piping bag with the open star tip in the bottom.
Slide the three other piping bags into the fourth and twist the open ends to force the frosting down into the tip.
Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the inside of the cupcake towards the outer circle and back to the middle to create a peak.
Roll fondant flat and cut into triangles.
Press one triangle into each cupcake at the peak of the frosting.
Decorate with sprinkles.
My family knows how much I love this time of the year and Shark Week starts this week and I cannot wait to make these shark cupcakes to celebrate!
If you love THE best Shark Cupcake recipe as much as my family does, please help me share the love by sharing on Facebook and Pinterest!
And be sure to tag us @eatpicks- #eatpicks if you share on Instagram!
- 12 cupcakes from your favorite recipe or boxed mix
- 2 to 3 cups vanilla frosting in three colors: blue/aqua, purple, and white (Used Pillsbury Funfetti Frosting)
- Fish sprinkles (Used from Pillsbury Funfetti Frosting in Bright Aqua)
- Black fondant
- Add about ½ cup each color frosting to its own piping bag. You will have 3 bags.
- Snip the end off the piping bags.
- Prepare a fourth piping bag with the open star tip.
- Slide the three other piping bags into the fourth and twist the open ends to force the frosting down into the tip.
- Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the inside of the cupcake towards the outer circle and back to the middle to create a peak.
- Roll fondant flat and cut into triangles.
- Press one triangle into each cupcake at the peak of the frosting.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
You will also need:
Large open star tip (Wilton 1M Open Star Piping Tip)
Fun Shark Week party decorations!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 872Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 512mgCarbohydrates: 132gFiber: 2gSugar: 116gProtein: 6g