This chicken chili recipe is very versatile and freezes like a dream so it is a staple in our house (and for our big fall party). This recipe only takes 30 minutes to make and tastes better the next day. Add a simple green salad and bread of your choice and you have a nice hearty meal that will warm you up on those cold days!
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 1-2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Boneless Chicken breast halves, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 15oz. can White Kidney Beans (Cannelini)
- 1 15oz. can Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 1 15oz. can Great Northern Beans
- 1 4oz. can Chopped Green Chilles
- 1 Chicken bullion cube
- 2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 Small can Shoepeg Corn
- 1 lime
- Salt & Pepper
- In a medium size sauce pot, put in olive oil ( lately I use Fillipo Berrio Extra Virgin Olive Oil), chopped onion, minced garlic, cut chicken and 2tsp. ground cumin.
- Cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked, stirring occassionally so not to stick to the bottom.
- Once chicken is cooked, add all the canned beans (do not rinse the beans! Add the whole can contents). I use whatever beans are on sale at the store; even the generic store brands. I find that these taste the same no matter what you use (unlike Black Beans where you can tell the difference between brands).
- Add can of chopped Chilles, bouillion cube, salt & pepper.
- Now for the corn: I prefer to use Green Giant Shoepeg corn in the small can. It is sweet and crisp and adds a very nice flavor to the chili. It can be pricey but it is the best one. I have used regular corn in a pinch and it works fine too.
- Last but not least, roll your lime on the counter or cutting board. Place under your palm and put slight pressure as you roll it back and forth. This will loosen up the pulp in the fruit and make it easier to squeeze the juice out. (hint: this works with all the citrus fruits!)
- Slice lime in half and squeeze each into the chili.
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Bring Pot to a gentle boil and then turn heat down to simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. You can serve this with shredded Monterey Jack Cheese and red hot sauce if you want.
Courses Great for Fall!