Homemade Orange Lemonade is the perfect go-to recipe to quench your thirst during the dog days of summer. Fresh oranges and lemons combined with a simple syrup will have you sipping in leisure in no time.
Nothing cools you off like a nice long sip of cool, sweet lemonade. When the kids were younger, I often opted for the sweet sugar mixes found in the grocery aisle, but soon realized it was nothing but flavored sugar water, so I decided to see how hard it would be to make it from scratch. You know what? It’s not hard to make homemade lemonade! I like to make homemade orange lemonade because the sweetness of the orange balances quite nicely with the tart lemon.
Homemade Orange Lemonade
Homemade orange lemonade calls for simple syrup which is actually great for any drink recipe that needs granulated sugar and you can make extra to keep in the fridge!
To make a simple syrup, it’s easy really: equal parts sugar to water, (1 cup sugar to 1 cup water) simmer in pot, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Cool before adding to drink mixture. That’s it! You can get creative with infusing flavors such as mint, thyme, basil, vanilla, cinnamon, etc by adding a few leaves, sprigs, vanilla beans or cinnamon stick to the heating process. Once sugar dissolves, remove the flavor infuser before cooling. Your possibilities are endless!
- ¾ cup simple syrup
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice, (about 2-3 oranges)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, (about 5-6 lemons)
- 6 cups Water
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- Simple Syrup:
- Place ¾ cup sugar and ¾ cup water into small saucepan and bring to simmer. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Squeeze oranges to fill ½ cup. Squeeze lemons to fill 1 cup. Strain juices to catch any seed into a 2qt. [url href=”http://amzn.to/2a4opke” target=”_blank”]pitcher[/url].
- Add simple syrup and stir.
- Add 6 cups water and stir.
- Add lemon and orange slices.
- Chill and serve!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may enjoy these as well!
If you like this post, you might also like these