Fall is just around the corner and the kitchen and I will soon get reacquainted. For being a foodie, you would think I love to cook or bake 365 days of the year, but you know what? Summer cooking and I just don’t mix. I tend to eat very simple meals and I am taking HUGE liberties in the word “meals”…because of the hot humid days, I have been known to eat ice cream for a dinner. It totally counts as dinner, right? Right. The less time I have to spend over a hot stove, the better. But cue in the slight chill in late August and I am ready to get back to soup, stews, casseroles and cakes and my family is too.
One of my favorite recipes is for Buffalo Chicken. It really is as simple as taking cooked chicken and pouring a good dose from a bottle of Frank’s Hot Wing Sauce into a bowl and allowed to marinate for 10-20 minutes. I’ve added this chicken to salads, eggs, dips, garbage bread and pizza. Yet, the day I decided to add to my plain grilled cheese, I wondered through every glorious bite why I had never tried this before.
Pair with a cup of chicken noodle soup and it is a lunch for the record books. Just enough heat from the wing sauce balanced with the creamy cheddar makes this a hearty morsel that warms you right down to your toes.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- ½ cup Frank's Hot Wing Buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices favorite bread (I used wheat)
- Place chicken in a glass bowl or dish and cover with sauce. Toss lightly with fork so that all of chicken is covered. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to marinate 10-20 minutes.
- Butter each slice of bread on one side only. Place first slice butter-side down in hot pan over medium-high heat.
- Top with half the cheese. Remove chicken with fork (let excess sauce drip off) and place on top of cheese. Top chicken with remaining cheese. Place remaining piece of bread on top of chicken mixture, butter side up.
- Cook until golden brown. Carefully turn over and gently push down top of sandwich with spatula (just enough to stick together insides of grilled cheese). Cook until golden brown.
- Let stand for 1 minute before slicing in half.
Do you have a favorite spin on the classic grilled cheese?? Leave a comment- I would love to try your version!
If you like this post, you might also like these